Is this a jetting issue ?

4 replies to this topic
  • locorider

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:40 AM

Hi there.

I have an 04 YZ450F and am pretty close to sea level, maybe 300ft above. I am coming close to setting it on fire. Here are the issues.

I ride mostly trails, sometimes pretty tight, sometimes less.

When ever cranking the throttle from 1/4 to anywhere past that, the bike always sputters for about 2 seconds, then takes off like a bat out of hell. That 2 seconds is sometimes all I have to accelerate before I need to slow down so it is slowing me down a lot.

I was convinced it was too rich so I started to lean it out.

I dropped the needle to the 3rd clip - that appeared to help a little, but it was still there.

I then changed the pilot to a 42, it used to be a 45. No difference.

I then changed the main to a 165, it used to be 168. No real difference.

I have moved the fuel screw around and if I lean it out just a tad I get a hanging idle but no difference in the bog.

It seems to be worse when the bike is very hot, say after a tight area, or after a lot of sand etc.

I did the o-ring mod, felt a little better but at times will still bog just as bad.

Once it makes it past the bog it pulls very strong, it is just a serious pain as it awalys first sputters, then flies out of the gates.

I don't feel too comfortable dropping the needle any more.

Any suggestions ?

• grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:51 AM

Check the slide plate to see if it is assembled upside down (the flat side with the hole near the edge needs to be on the bottom), or cracked, and possibly missing a corner. Another thing to try if that fails is disconnecting the TPS. This will put the CDI in a base timing, "full throttle" mode, and will tell you if you have a problem with the ignition mapping. That could still be either the TPS or the CDI, however.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • locorider

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:53 AM

Thanks Gray, will give that a try.

• locorider

Posted September 03, 2008 - 06:18 AM

I checked the slide, it is in right way up.

Will try the TPS sensor disconnected today.

I am leaning toward the AP putting too much fuel in when the throttle is blipped.

Can the AP be adjusted ? Is there a procedure for it ?

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2008 - 11:24 AM

Can the AP be adjusted ? Is there a procedure for it ?

Thanks

Yes, and yes. It's in the manual.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.