WR250F - salesman says it's a dog

I went up to local Yamaha dealer to check out the new WR250F. They had sold it already but the salesman was really pushing me towards something else. He said the WR250F had very little power and wouldn't even pull the front wheel up. I was pretty sure that he wanted to sell me something he had in stock and discounted his comments.

Has anyone had any experience with the bike yet?

I sure hope your salesman was wrong - my 250F comes in tomorrow. I've heard nothing but praise for the bike, but haven't actually ridden it yet. Possibly the bike he rode hadn't been uncorked yet (throttle stop, etc.)

A co-worker has had a yz-250f for about a month now (his wife works for a dealership). He is used to riding a cr-250 at a fairly high level. He says the yz handles like a dream but is a little lacking in the power department (remember he's used to a 2 smoker). He will be getting a new pipe and do some rejetting shortly. I'll let you know how it goes.

I know Ty Davis is one of the greatest riders in the sport, and I am an unworthy Novice, but at the WORCS race at Glen Helen a couple weeks ago he, on a YZ250F, passed me, on a '01 YZ426F, like I was in reverse. If he can race it against 520s and 426s in a pro race, I think it has plenty of power.

Kevin in AZ

'99 YZ400 and '01 YZ426

IMS dry break tanks, GPR stabilizers, 18" rear wheels, Renthal bars, 10oz flywheel weights.

Originally posted by Mike in Silicon valley:

A co-worker has had a yz-250f for about a month now (his wife works for a dealership). He is used to riding a cr-250 at a fairly high level. He says the yz handles like a dream but is a little lacking in the power department (remember he's used to a 2 smoker). He will be getting a new pipe and do some rejetting shortly. I'll let you know how it goes.

Motoworld or Bike Week (Speedvision) had an early review of the YZ250F and a preview of the WR250F. The YZ compared favorably to the 125's it races against. A 250 two stroke would have more power though. The preview of the WR showed a rider lifting the front wheel at will so I wouldn't worry about it.