2009 YZ450F Review

21 replies to this topic
  • ZMoney520

Posted September 01, 2008 - 04:41 PM

Ok. I have ridden my 09 3 times. The first time was just some trail riding with my wife to break it in. The second time was on a practice night on a track I have never been to and the bike was completely stock. The third time was race night in slightly muddy conditions with 2 foot deep ruts with my DR D exhaust on it with the 1 size larger pilot and moved the clip from third position to 4th.

My thoughts before riding it. I love the additoinal mounting position of the handle bars. I am 6' 2" and put my KX high contours on it in the forward most position. This made the bars a little taller and gave me a more forward riding position. The clutch is more adjustable but means nothing to me. I have big hands and like the clutch all the way out like normal. Looks of the bike is awesome. I love the black wheels and the gold chain (chain doesn't look like it will hold up any better than the previous version).

First real ride on a track in stock form. Suspension is very stiff, to be expected on a new bike. New swing arm, ok, can't tell any difference from my 08. Handling is the same. Corners ok. I don't feel any pushing with the front in the middle of the corners. It turns about the same as the 08 and depends on body positioning and sag. Motor, feels just like the 08 with the crappy shorty exhaust. A little boring our of corners, hate the sound, and finally feels normal when you get going through the gears. Shifting feels to be a little better but I am not the right person to judge this. I had to have my foot wired together back in the 90's and it doesn't move in the up direction as much as it use to.

First race. A little muddy but with the DR D exhaust and correct jetting. Motor wakes up a lot, just like on the 08. Feels very strong and can run a gear higher. Suspension is still very rough. I am not a suspension expert, but I felt like I was geting kicked around so I slowed down the rebound and it felt a little better. Can't complain to much, I got 2nd in +30 expert and 1st in +35 expert.

Summary. I am not the typical person. My dad owns a Yamaha dealership so I change bikes every year because the money is right. I like to have the newest bike available. It is nice to have a fresh bike. There difinetly is a difference between a year old 08 and a new 09 in how fresh everything feels. The new bike looks great, but only the people I know have even noticed that it is a 09 and not an 08. Some of the adjustment features are nice but not really that bike of a deal. If I was someone that was watching my dollars and had a 07 or older, I would have to tell you to grab a great deal on an 08, slap some black rims on it and tell everyone it is an 09 and hope they don't notice the different swing arm. Don't get me wrong. I love the new 09 and I am a die hard Yamaha man. But for me, it is just a fresh 08 with some sweet @ss rims on it.

So I continue to wait on EFI, because I hate to jet carbs, and modify my 09 to make it better for me. I have my KX high bend contours on it, a tall SDG seat, F2 Racing fuel/air screw, DR D radiator lowering kit on order, and after the next race the suspension will be off to Factory Connections. After that, I am sure it will be one bad @ss 08, I mean 09, racing machine. :thumbsup:

• twenty34

Posted September 01, 2008 - 07:15 PM

Ok. I have ridden my 09 3 times.
:

I can't believe you guys already have your 09's on the floor and we (Honda) haven't even seen nor heard a peep regarding the 09's. Geez, this is painful waiting to see what's gonna be released.

• sean3239

Posted September 01, 2008 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the honest review. Its nice not to hear "this bike is way better than last years bike" like usual. :thumbsup:

• clutchless

Posted September 01, 2008 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the honest review.

I can't ride as much and i am one of those types who takes a while to adjust to a new bike.

I am just getting dialed in on my 07. i usually wait 2 years to switch out but right now i am pretty stoked and make wait for 2010 or 2011.

Or just try to pick up a 2009 cheap next fall when the 10's hit.

Thanks for taking the time good gas for you!

• DPW

Posted September 02, 2008 - 05:21 AM

Thanks for the honest review. Its nice not to hear "this bike is way better than last years bike" like usual. :thumbsup:

agreed...I always enjoy reading the magazine reviews where they rave about how great the new bike is...read the Transworld MX review then MXA almost sounds like two different bikes.

• brian389

Posted September 03, 2008 - 01:05 PM

Do you know if that upper triple clamp will fit on my '06? I'm 6'1" with long arms, so want to stretch it out a bit.

• yz007f

Posted September 03, 2008 - 03:05 PM

Yes the stock top triple clamp will fit a 06..

• ZMoney520

Posted September 03, 2008 - 05:05 PM

Anyone else out there with the 09 450? I would like to hear what others have to say. It is a great bike just like the 08. I just can't wait to see if they do something more radical in 2010.

• kawboy388

Posted September 04, 2008 - 02:04 AM

I can't believe you guys already have your 09's on the floor and we (Honda) haven't even seen nor heard a peep regarding the 09's. Geez, this is painful waiting to see what's gonna be released.

Well on one hand this years YZ is just a refined bike and the CRF450 your waiting for is supposedley new from the ground up,on the other hand so is the new KX450 and pics have been out for a while and the dealer says "anyday now,it should be in"(the 09 KX250f has been out a few weeks).

• kawboy388

Posted September 04, 2008 - 02:09 AM

agreed...I always enjoy reading the magazine reviews where they rave about how great the new bike is...read the Transworld MX review then MXA almost sounds like two different bikes.

Yes, but when is the last time you heard Tranworld say anything bad about a bike ?:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted September 04, 2008 - 04:31 AM

Anyone else out there with the 09 450? I would like to hear what others have to say. It is a great bike just like the 08. I just can't wait to see if they do something more radical in 2010.

What shop does your dad own? When I get ready to buy myself a new bike I can throw my business his way.

• Ga450owner

Posted September 04, 2008 - 07:35 AM

I believe his dad owns the dealership in Rome Ga

• ZMoney520

Posted September 07, 2008 - 04:46 PM

Here is a pic so far of my bike. I have some custom shroud graphics on order from Rusk Racing. The bike is also torn apart with the suspension in route to Factory Connection. I can't wait to get the suspension on and see how that handles. Then I am going to put on my DR D radiator lowering kit and see what that does.:thumbsup:

Attached Thumbnails

• P8260341.jpg

• Tonson

Posted October 25, 2008 - 12:47 AM

Just got my 09 YZ450. Its hot looking but cool since it is white. The Black rims really set it off and I switched the stock silver Pro Tapers for Black Windham mid rise Pro Tapers, which also really sets it off nice.

I live in Oman and also have an '05 YZ250 2 stroke and an '07 WR450. Was thinking of changing to a KTM 450 SX for the WP suspension but since there is no dealer support locally and its a 4 speed box decided to stick with what I know. The local Yamaha dealer isn't getting any White YZ's and not they don't arrive until next month. They do however provide good parts and mechanical support, hence the decision to stick with Yamaha.

I only just rode it yesterday and I'm amazed at how easy it is to ride faster, longer. My riding is nearly always through big dunes, sand trails, desert plains with camel grass and some graded unmetalled roads and wadis. The WR450 is great fro the graded roads and most of the desert but the suspension is just not good enough at the front end no matter what I do to them. The YZ has already shown me what a difference there is in the front end. I'm grinning ear to ear since my usual ride buddies are now finding the tables turned...I'm the one in front of their YZ's, CRF's and WR's!

I'm a very happy boy with my new toy.

• mxracer206

Posted October 30, 2008 - 05:05 PM

Have a few good rides on my 09, one of the first things I noticed was how good the back of the bike was. I can not think of anything I could do to make it better, I have hit stuff that would have turned me sideways on my 08 and barely noticed it. When the moto was over I realized I should have been on my head couple of times. It does turn better than the 08 but how good do you need it, the 08 was already pretty good for me with the right tires. The motor is close to the same if not a little smoother, really good in my opinion. I rode an 09 Honda this week and definately like the YZ power much better, the Honda was down right boring to ride, no really really boring to ride. I have to add I never rode the bike with the stock exhaust or rear tire but used the same set-up I had on the 08 so it was a fair comparison.

• YamaLink

Posted October 31, 2008 - 12:18 PM

The 09 YZ450F rear suspension behaves a bit better than our 08 did. Admittedly we've been hammering the new YZ250F more, but so far the big bike is not disappointing!

Motor is a lot smoother than the 09 KX450F in stock "mapping"; I have not set the fuel delivery from factory on the green bike. And not to say the YZ's forks are better - because the Kawi forks take a lot longer to break in - but the Yami is alot closer to ready right out of the box in terms of suspension. Good stuff!

Have a few good rides on my 09, one of the first things I noticed was how good the back of the bike was. I can not think of anything I could do to make it better, I have hit stuff that would have turned me sideways on my 08 and barely noticed it. When the moto was over I realized I should have been on my head couple of times. It does turn better than the 08 but how good do you need it, the 08 was already pretty good for me with the right tires. The motor is close to the same if not a little smoother, really good in my opinion. I rode an 09 Honda this week and definately like the YZ power much better, the Honda was down right boring to ride, no really really boring to ride. I have to add I never rode the bike with the stock exhaust or rear tire but used the same set-up I had on the 08 so it was a fair comparison.

• mxracer206

Posted October 31, 2008 - 06:20 PM

I hope the fuel injection doesn't make the bikes to smooth, that was one of the complaints the mags had when they first tested some pre-production bikes. They called the power boring and that is just what the Honda felt like that I rode.

• grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2008 - 06:47 PM

When several of the mags tested the '06, they said it was a great bike, but the engine was soft and uninspiring (that's like boring, right?). Then they turned in the lowest lap times with the Yamaha.

When the mags tested the '08, they said it was a great bike, but the engine was boring (this time, they said that). Then they turned in lower lap times on the Yamaha, again.

I see a pattern. "Butt Dynos" are not only not always right, they are frequently full of..., well, it's just their nature.

• pobit

Posted October 31, 2008 - 07:10 PM

I have an 08 and I found the rebound is too fast on both ends. The bike pushes back at you and makes it feel harsh. I ride A class and run the fork compression dampening at 13, rebound at 6. shock sag 102mm compression 9, High speed 1 3/4, rebound 7. Dave

• Patmach1

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:30 PM

I also have the new 09 YZ450F's and i want more bottom end for hair scrambles and GNCC races. The bike is all stock and i seem to stall the bike a little more then i have on any other bike i have ever had. Any information or ideas for more bottom end and tips anything to help prevent stalling.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.