Chain upgrade

25 replies to this topic
  • DPW

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:39 AM

The ERT2 is already well beyond the tensile strength needed at 8100 psi. The ERV3 costs more, weighs more, and for that, it offers 8600 psi of tensile strength.

the ERV3 weighs less then the ORN6....going by the specs on their sites.

• grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:45 AM

What has that to do with the comparison between an ERV3 and an ERT2?

Besides, the Regina is a sealed chain.

• DPW

Posted September 02, 2008 - 09:08 AM

What has that to do with the comparison between an ERV3 and an ERT2?

Besides, the Regina is a sealed chain.

nothing....you had just mentioned the weight of the ERV3 , which is the same or lighter then a lot of popular dirt bike chains....I picked the ORN6 because it's a popular chain with TT.

I'm still trying to understand kz2zx's first post on the subject trying to say the ERV3 is not a good dirt bike chain, which is not true. He said that it's overkill for a 450 bike, which unless I'm misreading the specs on the DID or Regina site all the chains mentioned are close in specs.

The only disadvantage I see is the price...and the tensile strength, which if the weight is no more then any other chain I don't see tensile strength being a negative.

Sorry to the original poster for hijacking the thread... I'm just trying to learn/understand

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdrata

Posted September 02, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for your help; a buddy of mine who runs only the riveted links has the tool in his arsenal that I can borrow. I will run this set up and give feedback. I found the ERV3 (good ebay price) and combined with TAG sprockets. Previously, I had a Pro Taper with DRD ERT2 and it lasted maybe 6 months (stretched and worn). We'll see how this current combo lasts.

• grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2008 - 11:08 AM

I'm still trying to understand kz2zx's first post on the subject trying to say the ERV3 is not a good dirt bike chain, which is not true. He said that it's overkill for a 450 bike, which unless I'm misreading the specs on the DID or Regina site all the chains mentioned are close in specs.

The only disadvantage I see is the price...and the tensile strength, which if the weight is no more then any other chain I don't see tensile strength being a negative.

Sorry to the original poster for hijacking the thread... I'm just trying to learn/understand

His point in calling it overkill is simply that he doesn't see it as having an advantage over another lighter less expensive conventional chain, such as the ERT2, or the Regina RX3, based, apparently, on the criteria of price vs. tensile strength. And if weight concerns you, the ERT2 is lighter.

However, it would be interesting to see how the ERV3 holds up, given the claims made for it as "wear resistance index". Frankly, though, I don't think either of them will last like a good sealed chain such as the ORN6 does.

• kz2zx

Posted September 02, 2008 - 07:32 PM

Grayracer summed it up perfectly.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.