2008 YZ450F Owners....Need a hand.

3 replies to this topic
  • sps3172

Posted September 01, 2008 - 06:41 AM

I just picked up a new 2008 YZ450F on Friday. I plan on converting this to a supermoto track bike, and while in the process of planning for all the various ‘catch tanks’ required by track rules, I came across the following SNAFU.

If you view the bike from above, imagine a centerline running through the motorcycle, front to rear (through center of both wheels with bar straight, etc). The ignition module is mounted on the front of the head tube on a steel bracket. On my bike, when viewed from above, the bracket and module are not on the very front of the head tube, at 90 degrees to the centerline mentioned above…the fame is machined (and mounting bracket holes drilled) such that this bracket is mounted off to the left approximately 10-15 degrees from ‘square’ (crumby cell phone picture attached…it should give you an idea what I mean). I find it hard to believe that this was a ‘mistake’ but also can’t for the life of me see why it needs to be sitting ‘cockeyed’ like it is. Just to clarify, this is not an issue of a bent bracket or a mis-drilled hole. The front of the head tube has a flat area machined on it to accept this bracket. That area and the mounting holes are both aligned around the head tube to the left.

Can some of you fellow 2008 (not sure how other years mount) YZ (WR mounts the module elsewhere) 450 owners take a peek behind your number plate and report on the how your module is mounted (i.e…..90 degrees to centerline, or shifted to the side like mine)?

I planned on mounting a small coolant catch tank behind the front number plate. Not having the module square to the headtube is causing issues with my plan. I’m not sure yet how I’ll ‘fix’ this but first, I like to know if Yamaha did it this way on purpose or if I have an ‘oops’ on my hands here.

Thanks in advance for any help….

- Steve

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2008 - 07:40 AM

http://www.thumperta...369#post5939369

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sps3172

Posted September 01, 2008 - 07:45 AM

http://www.thumperta...369#post5939369

Thanks, Gray. I've been drooling over those pics of swatdoc's YZ for a while. I presume you wanted me to see all the catch can info, eh?

Or....did I miss something in that thread about the mounting of the ignition module on his aluminum frame? I just re-read the thread....still didn't see it.

• grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2008 - 08:18 AM

The modules are all that way. No idea why. Probably wanted more room on the right side of it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.