Why to buy a WR rather than a YZ????

37 replies to this topic
  • Lennie

Posted September 01, 2008 - 01:57 AM

Hello, I am tempted to sell my WR450 a get a YZ450.

I know the suspension is harder but i like to ride my bike on MX tracks and trails and the WR suspension is not very good for mx and i have already blown the rear shock and the fork seals have blown 3 times in a year. I have a talon 18" rear wheel so no worries about the tyre issues as i will keep it for the new bike.

What apart from the 4 speed box will be not as good for trail riding on a yz?

Can people give me some pro's and con's for each bike please?

• acarter92

Posted September 01, 2008 - 04:12 AM

the wr has a light (sure does come in handy for me). there are some tips on this site to make your wr perform like a yz, such as taking off the airbox cover and some other free mods that make is more like a yz and less like a wr.

Good luck,
Austin

• Lennie

Posted September 01, 2008 - 05:07 AM

My bike has plenty of power, all the mods and lots more are done.

I am trying to work out the bad points of a YZ that are "fixed" by having a WR. Basicly all i can think of is 19" wheel, no lights and 4 speed box.

• doctorchopper

Posted September 01, 2008 - 06:42 AM

yz's doen't have a kick stand, wr's have electric start(if you are doing enduro's, Hair and hounds)this makes all the differance.As far as the rear shock i don't think there is much difference from the yz to the wr, id put a stiffer spring on it though your wr is road legal so i pressume you have insurance on it, you can get a yz road legal but would be quite expensive

• MountainMax

Posted September 01, 2008 - 01:02 PM

the YZ450 only has 4 gears, since when? Did I miss something???????????

• SPLATT

Posted September 01, 2008 - 01:36 PM

the YZ450 only has 4 gears, since when? Did I miss something???????????

The 03 and 04 YZF's were 4-speed and 5-speed 05 and up.

Steve

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 01, 2008 - 01:52 PM

5 close ratio gears! You can gear a YZ up to be as fast as a WR on top but then 1st gear is pretty tall or gear it down and the top speed goes out the window. Right tool for the right job. Track riding = YZ. Technical single track\cross country riding = WR. Desert riding falls somewhere in between.

• MountainMax

Posted September 01, 2008 - 06:28 PM

I thought he was buying a new bike, not an older one, sorry...

• Lennie

Posted September 01, 2008 - 11:33 PM

I have got a bit confused, i thought the older ones were 5 speed and newer ones 4 speed. :thumbsup: :worthy: The bikes i have been looking at are 07-08.

Basicly we ride 90% off road where the speed can be anywhere between 5mph and flat out in top and a bit of MX. The main benefit of a WR is its road legal as standard in england and the YZ is not. My WR has been modified to ride more like a YZ but the suspension does suffer from my type of riding and isnt up to the job so the shock has blown and the fork seals have blown 3 times in a year.

I am trying to work out which bikie is less of a comprimise, a WR on a MX track or a YZ (with lights) for fast trail riding.

• wartsnuff

Posted September 02, 2008 - 06:48 AM

just get your suspension resprong and setup for your wieght.

sounds like the bike has the power you need.

save tons of cake, by not buying another bike :thumbsup:

cheer & good luck

Warts

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KAS

Posted September 02, 2008 - 10:49 AM

YZ450's 2006 and up are 5-speeds.

Sounds like you need different springs if you're bottoming out so hard you are blowing the seals.

• WR250F Captain

Posted September 02, 2008 - 12:11 PM

the WR:

has a dual output stator 100watts for lighting and 25 watts for charging

heavier flywheel for better traction

a gear for every situation... well thats debatable

no tool airbox

E start

kickstand

18'' rear tire for protecting the tube offroad

larger tank with RESERVE

spark arrestor

coolant recovery tank for overheating

the YZ:

has a 5 speed close ratio gearbox

closed cartridge forks

every bit taken off to prevent being heavy

will be bumpy offroad

loud exhaust

basically, if the weight is fine, get YZ forks, and have the suspension set up for you. because a YZ450 already has too much power for a track, so the WR450 with its taller gearing should do fine for jumps

• Dube2

Posted September 02, 2008 - 04:28 PM

Even Ty Davis rolled on a WR for some endurance rides. The wr is track worthy, just need to get the suspension done and mybe a hot cam. I assume you like both track and trail? Keep the WR and get a YZ, best of both worlds.

I have one set up for dual sport and one set up for desert. Next is the 2010 WR, maybe a Super Moto Street? Best of all three worlds.

• tunefx

Posted September 02, 2008 - 07:39 PM

Lennie,
Sorry for the long post.

I had the same thought after I bought my '07 WR. I ended up YZ-fying my WR.

-YZ front plate (removed headlight)
-Removed speedo
-Removed rear light
-Removed radiator resovoir (use eco-friendly coolant)
-Did all the typical mods (air box, fuel screw, etc.)
-Front/Rear suspension tuned by Factory Connection :thumbsup:
-Inserted "power on" button inside bar pad
-Installed YZ left footpeg bracket (no kickstand)
-Dubach Racing (DR D) Exhaust.
-Larger front rotor
-Other misc. items to lighten the bike

Essentially I have an e-start YZ now with a wide-ratio gearbox (which I prefer).

As mentioned by others above, I would really like to have the YZ forks as they are better. Next on my list would be the YZ cam, but the bike has plenty of power and acceleration as is.

I ride track and off-road. I let a Team Green (AMA champion) rider take it out on a muddy track and he came back wanting the bike. I will not mention his name--but it was a great comment coming from him (a much better rider than me). He did things on my bike that I didn't know could be done, i.e. it's not the bike, it's the rider!! :busted:

All that said, I agree with others on this last point. If I had an unlimited budget I would have a YZ, WR, a motarded YZ, and a motarded WR (for riding to work). :worthy:

• Lennie

Posted September 02, 2008 - 10:18 PM

Interesting posts. Im still a bit undecided but this have given me plenty to think about. Cheers!!!!

• MountainMax

Posted September 03, 2008 - 04:34 AM

neither decision is wrong, just make one that suits your needs best...

• WR250F Captain

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:06 AM

if your in california and your going to do OHV area riding. a YZ-F would be a wrong decision because they are not allowed there during half the year, or any part of the year if you don't have a spark arrestor and quiet exhaust.

get the bike that conforms to what you need, and what your area requires. thats the right decision in my book

• Himsa123

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:29 AM

Lennie,
Sorry for the long post.

I had the same thought after I bought my '07 WR. I ended up YZ-fying my WR.

-YZ front plate (removed headlight)
-Removed speedo
-Removed rear light
-Removed radiator resovoir (use eco-friendly coolant)
-Did all the typical mods (air box, fuel screw, etc.)
-Front/Rear suspension tuned by Factory Connection :thumbsup:
-Inserted "power on" button inside bar pad
-Installed YZ left footpeg bracket (no kickstand)
-Dubach Racing (DR D) Exhaust.
-Larger front rotor
-Other misc. items to lighten the bike

Essentially I have an e-start YZ now with a wide-ratio gearbox (which I prefer).

As mentioned by others above, I would really like to have the YZ forks as they are better. Next on my list would be the YZ cam, but the bike has plenty of power and acceleration as is.

I ride track and off-road. I let a Team Green (AMA champion) rider take it out on a muddy track and he came back wanting the bike. I will not mention his name--but it was a great comment coming from him (a much better rider than me). He did things on my bike that I didn't know could be done, i.e. it's not the bike, it's the rider!! :busted:

All that said, I agree with others on this last point. If I had an unlimited budget I would have a YZ, WR, a motarded YZ, and a motarded WR (for riding to work). :worthy:

Hey sounds like a nice bike do you have any pics of it? Also i was thinking about removing my headlight and speedo as well but still want to keep my electric start of course. how do you do that?? Thanks!

Bob

• Himsa123

Posted September 04, 2008 - 08:38 PM

Anyone seen a tutorial on this or at least a brief on how the wiring is done?

• tunefx

Posted September 05, 2008 - 06:22 AM

Hey sounds like a nice bike do you have any pics of it? Also i was thinking about removing my headlight and speedo as well but still want to keep my electric start of course. how do you do that?? Thanks!

Bob

I will get to work on the pics. Hope you still like it then! :thumbsup:

The three custom tasks included making a bracket for the YZ front number plate, moving the "power on" button (the one attached to the upper triple clamp on the right), and eliminating the "clutch in" sensor for the starter.

1) Bracket - made out of stock alum from local building supply. Mounts to the two holes on the upper triple clamp (speedo currently uses the two holes). In the middle of this bracket I drilled a hole to place a stud. The stud was simply a bolt about 1" long placed through the hole and locked down with a nut. I think I used a M6. The stud is then used for attaching to a tab located on the top/rear center of the YZ plate. To mount it all, I added a 3/4" length bushing around the stud, washer, number plate tab, washer, and then nylock nut.

2) Power switch - This is only mod on the bike I cannot return to "normal". After removing the power switch I cut the steel bracket flush with the base of the plastic cover. I then removed the handle bar pad foam. With an x-acto knife I cut out a portion of the foam to make space for the switch. Take the time to make the space tight enough to hold the switch snug. I then cut a hole in the pad cover so I could use the switch and see the red LED. My cut on the cover was a bit off the first time so take your time, i.e., mine is not "pretty". But it's cool.

3) Clutch switch - This one is a little fuzzy in my mind. If I recall correctly, I simply made a jumper using two electrical connectors to short the clutch switch sensor. When you start unplugging all the wires that were behind the light you will see what I mean. I just plugged the jumper into the connector and taped it up.

I almost forgot. If you remove the speedo you will need to replace the sensor on the right of the front hub. I ordered my spacer from http://www.flatlandracing.com/.

Hope this helps some without being too confusing!

I'll try and get the pics in the next day or so.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.