XT 350 Problems

11 replies to this topic
  • enduro400

Posted December 29, 2002 - 10:42 AM

I have a friends 1990 XT 350 he wanted me to look at . He said that it would only run with the choke on. He was right. I pulled the carb off only to find that the screen under the needle was full of rust from the tank. I went through the entire carb with a fine tooth comb, cleaned out the tank and installed everything back on the bike. The bike started right up but would only run with the choke about 1/8 to 1/4 out? I recently found out that the bike has been bored out and has a aftermarket pipe and silencer on it. What I need to know is should the jetting be changed since these mods have been made?
Thanks in advance :)

• blue_beast_wins

Posted December 29, 2002 - 11:06 AM

Is that the duel throat carb like the tt350??

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 30, 2002 - 02:57 PM

The xt 350 had 2 carbs if I remember correctly. One was a std style carb and the other was a vacume operared thingy. really funky design. I remember because a friend of mine had one. every time you landed from a jump it bogged bad because the vacume operated 1/2 carb would slam shut from the impact. Maybe its something in that 2nd carb thingy. I dont know if that helps at all. You just brought back memmories mentioning that bike.

Id get rid of that bike. Those were horrible bikes. The suspension was mush. But if its all hes got. At least hes ridding.

• BruceWA

Posted December 30, 2002 - 04:45 PM

I'll second yzman400, I jumped on a friends a couple of years ago right off my WR400, and it scared me silly! Suspension is made from mashed potatoes and frame has enough flex to make pasta.

• Parx_400

Posted December 30, 2002 - 06:29 PM

i use to work in service at fun bike center in SD. i use to ride those thing around the parking lot and they are such a pile. i can't belive yamaha would make such a thing. a dr250 was better than that and those where horrible.

parx

• Parx_400

Posted December 30, 2002 - 06:29 PM

i use to work in service at fun bike center in SD. i use to ride those thing around the parking lot and they are such a pile. i can't belive yamaha would make such a thing. a dr250 was better than that and those where horrible.

parx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cuda

Posted December 30, 2002 - 11:46 PM

Come on Guys quit rubbing down the guy’s bike. I have a 86 XT350 I bought new and has been a great bike still running strong with 10k miles doesn’t get much use now but runs good. I won’t argue about the inferior suspension however. Back to the question the carb on this bike is a pile and very touchy there is a brass plug covering the air screw on the bottom of the carb if you did not remove it during your cleaning go back and remove it and blow out the passages. The other thing I have seen with this carb setup is the rubber manifold will come apart from the aluminum flange that bolts to the head creating an air leak that will cause the symptoms you describe as they are jetted very lean. I would definitely jet it up with a aftermarket exhaust.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted December 31, 2002 - 01:30 AM

I had an 89 TT350 before the WR, i spent heaps on it, raised the comp to 10.5-1, ported the head, made my own header pipe etc, main jets were standard, but still slightly rich at sea level and about 20c, had to put a lighter spring in the secondries, this bike was the best hill climber i ever had, yeah suspension was [censored], thats why i bought the WR :) :D

• enduro400

Posted December 31, 2002 - 04:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the tips (the ones that gave tips) , looking for a larger jet and we'll see what happens.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 31, 2002 - 05:36 AM

I was just chattin with a buddy who had a xt350 and also had worked on a bunch of the old honds metal tanked three wheelers. He is bettin that the rust is still the problem. He has seen bikes that he has taked apart a number of times and is still finding rust. It dont take much to mess stuff up.

But definately check for air leeks around the carb boot.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 31, 2002 - 11:54 AM

Strangest thing happened to me today.

This talk of XT 350's got me thinking of the last time I saw one of these bikes. There was a guy ridding one at the trail system near my house last spring. I remember talking to him a little bit then.

Well I decided to go ridding with my 6yr old today. Wife told me I had to get him outa the house and get some fresh air. So I thought Id introduce him to some single track. So I went to the trail system by my house. Guess who was there.... The same guy on the same XT-350...... Creepy.

• cookeye

Posted January 01, 2003 - 10:14 AM

I to have owened an XT350 i think he must of brokendown if my XTwas anything like most of them ibelive you must of gone home by a different rout coz he is probly still their

cookeye :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.