Megabomb vs Powerbomb header question...

8 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted August 31, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Just a quick question...I currently have on my 2006 yz450f a Powerbomb header with Factory 4.1 exhaust and I'm thinking about buying a megabomb header. So my question is: Will I have to do any jetting changes to switch from the Powerbomb to the Megabomb? Any info will be greatly appreciated...thnaks!:busted: :thumbsup: :worthy:

• KJ790

Posted September 01, 2008 - 06:28 AM

It shouldn't have a big effect on the jetting, you may just have to adjust the fuel screw.

• Justin89

Posted September 01, 2008 - 09:10 AM

It shouldn't have a big effect on the jetting, you may just have to adjust the fuel screw.

Okay thanks KJ. I know you have both headers and have ran them on your bike so that's good to know.:thumbsup: :worthy:

• rdrata

Posted September 04, 2008 - 08:51 AM

...and watch out for the burned pants!!! Wrap it up with the heat wrap (curved portion of header). I do notice that the expansion chamber of the megabomb actually is within an 1/8" of the engine top end - makes the engine get hot quick. Any others experience this? Solutions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted September 04, 2008 - 10:01 AM

...and watch out for the burned pants!!! Wrap it up with the heat wrap (curved portion of header). I do notice that the expansion chamber of the megabomb actually is within an 1/8" of the engine top end - makes the engine get hot quick. Any others experience this? Solutions?

O really? Never thought about the megabomb being close to the engine. I have some thermo srips I'll have to slap on somewhere ont that side to see how hot it is actually getting...

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2008 - 12:16 PM

I do notice that the expansion chamber of the megabomb actually is within an 1/8" of the engine top end - makes the engine get hot quick.

No, it won't. The minuscule amount of heat that could be successfully radiated to the exterior surface of the liquid cooled cylinder and head will have little or no effect on the coolant temperature.

• rdrata

Posted September 04, 2008 - 12:35 PM

well gray, perhaps it's just that i've never noticed it before, or the fact that i have been riding in this summer heat, but since the application of the megabomb, my YZ seems to have turned into a fire breathing beast! It seems a lot hotter than that of the stock exhaust. So, I'm okay with the exhaust being close to the head? At first i thought i had it mounted incorrectly, but it snugs up real tight at the back corner prior to attaching to muffler.

• grayracer513

Posted September 04, 2008 - 12:46 PM

It's possible that your jetting is a little lean with that pipe, or as you say, you may not have noticed it before. But even if the pipe laid directly against the cylinder, it would add very little, if any, significant heat to the engine. Remember, all of that fire came out of there to begin with.

• rdrata

Posted September 04, 2008 - 12:57 PM

okay, cool (or should I say hot :worthy:), I have a lot of things to observe on next outing, revised jetting, heat and the erv3 chain (flared out those pins :thumbsup:) Anyway, glad to know not to worry about placement of pipe. Still it seems they could have designed it with better tolerances...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.