08 WR Speedo Issue

6 replies to this topic
  • neevothespaniel

Posted August 31, 2008 - 12:20 AM

Speedo has been working fine up till my ride today so not sure whats going on. Symptoms were decreasing visibility of numbers on speedo despite the fact that it remains illuminated.

Last part of the ride the opposite happens, all digits are visible with no way of making out correct numbers. Just cleaned the bike and took it for a ride around the block to dry it off and the numbers have gone again!

I know the speedo is working as I can just about see some numbers changing for the clock and speed but its so faint I cannot make out what they should be.

Any help would be appreciated.

• William1

Posted August 31, 2008 - 01:59 AM

Check the connection

• neevothespaniel

Posted August 31, 2008 - 03:26 AM

Connection is fine although there seems to be some water in the speedo unit, not much but a few drops have come out of the rubber boot at the bottom of the unit.

Maybe this is the cause?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted August 31, 2008 - 04:25 AM

Very possible. I have not tried to take a oem unit apart yet so I do not know how difficult it would be.

Often, opening an electronic unit up and letting it sit in the sun for a day (face isde down) will evaporate the water with no side effects. However, if the water had a lot of dissolved solids (salt water for example), the problem can remain. A flushing with distilled water is called for first before drying. If you do this, try to shake the excess water out.

You need to also figure out how water got in there and take steps to prevent it. Did you wash the bike with a power washer?

• neevothespaniel

Posted August 31, 2008 - 02:04 PM

Did you wash the bike with a power washer?

Yep. I nail it after every ride. Normally I go over all the bearings and regrease so I am aware of the grease stripping potential of the washer. I might have to be a bit more careful around the speedo unit in future.

• neevothespaniel

Posted September 01, 2008 - 03:59 AM

Well the speedo has been off the bike for a while now and I just tried to reconnect it but the numbers are still non existent. Water in the unit is obviously not the cause!

Can anyone offer any other alternative for the problems I am having? Also should the speedo be making any noise, there is a tiny whining sound coming from it when its powered up.

• neevothespaniel

Posted September 02, 2008 - 04:13 AM

Well the speedo has been off the bike for a while now and I just tried to reconnect it but the numbers are still non existent. Water in the unit is obviously not the cause!

Shows what I know, in a last ditch effort to get the bloody speedo working I stuck it in front of my heater for a couple of hours this afternoon. Thought sod it and stuck it back on the bike this evening ready to ride for the weekend, and low and behold its back up and running perfectly.

Thank god for that :worthy:

From now on I will take a little more care when I pressure wash the headlight area. One positive is I now have a much better understanding of the speedo assembly and all of the wiring loom behind the headlight :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.