wr400 rear brakes STINK!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 replies to this topic
  • ready fredy

Posted August 30, 2008 - 07:31 PM

Do all 98 WR400s rear brakes stink???? Actually i had a wr426 and those brakes were no better either! Can i put newer yz450 calipers on this bike. I hate to say it but i rode ktms for the last ten years and im definetly happier with the yamaha's but one thing that did spoil me with the ktms is the stock brakes on the later models are superb. And im used to them now. I think i could stop better Fred Flintstone style with my feet than these stock wr rear brakes!!!!! So what can i do to make these brakes work?????? I have very good pedal it just feels like a 1965 brake. Ive rode Xr's with drums that stopped better than this!!!!! Actually alot better! What parts interchange for an upgrade?

• freeriders98

Posted August 30, 2008 - 07:36 PM

My front brake on my 98 WR is what is a joke. My back one feels ok but my front does just about ... nothing. So I am up for any upgrade Ideas. I just bled mine and put new fluid in, better than before but still pretty weak.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 30, 2008 - 07:58 PM

Try a vacuum bleeder, sintered pads, make sure your rotors are straight, (a bent rotor will give you a mushy/fading lever:prof:) change your fluid if you have not already and if all else fails get a rebuild kit for the caliper(s).All of my WR's have had at least decent brakes....:thumbsup:

They really are not bad by nature, you are both talking about bikes that are 10 years old, if they were KTM's they wouldn't even still be out on the trail...

• ready fredy

Posted August 31, 2008 - 05:27 AM

Well ill try different pads then what kind is the best of both worlds in wear and stopping power? As i said i have rock hard pedal and lever not mushy at all so that is not the prob. But i have had 3 Wr's an 98,01,,04 and none had what i would call excellent brakes compared to the Ktm's. Especially the rear! Its WEAK! And thats on all 3 years.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 01, 2008 - 10:32 AM

I am no brake expert but I just use a sintered pad... parts unlimited SBS, they are probably not the best pads in the world but they work great for me... I ride steep shit, I was just yesterday and the day before riding wet slimy steep down hills, my rear brake locks up just fine:excuseme:

you'll get a season out of the sintered ones.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 01, 2008 - 12:33 PM

The complaint about the front brake is legit. IIRC the older WRs use the setup where the cable is routed below the fork tube, then comes up to the brake caliper. My cousin has an '01 YZf with this setup and it is sub-par. The front brake on my old TT-R (CR style routing)gave a crisper feel at the lever and had more stopping power than the old under the fork tube setup. The only reason why the TT-R had this style hose routing is because its a playbike. I believe Honda's patent applied to competition bikes.When Honda's patent on the hose routing expired, all of the OEMs went to that setup on their competition bikes.

To make the front brake better on the older bikes, a CR style hose routing kit would probably get the job done . The more direct route for the brake fluid to travel does wonders for feel and stopping power...

I think i could stop better Fred Flintstone style with my feet than these stock wr rear brakes!!!!! So what can i do to make these brakes work?????? I have very good pedal it just feels like a 1965 brake. Ive rode Xr's with drums that stopped better than this!!!!! Actually alot better! What parts interchange for an upgrade?

The brembos on KTM's work too well. Esp. the front. If you're not used to that kind of power it'll make you look like an idiot fast.

With that said the brakes on you WR 400f shouldn't be that bad. Like Don said, bleed the brakes. If its still not to your liking try the '03-'05 rear master cylinder. Those have the fluid reservoir incorporated into the master cylinder. The only benefit I can see vs. the '98-'02 style is the fact that it keeps the fluid cooler by keeping it away from the exhaust.

• ready fredy

Posted September 01, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Ok ive bled the brake extreemly well and still no better the pads are kevlar sinterd they seem smallish to me. ill try different pads. Luckily this is a four stroke and has plenty of engine braking to off set for the weak brake. Im not joking when i say ive rode 88 XRs with drums that stopped better than this. Dont get me wrong i do love the yamaha much better than the KTMs but when you can stop with just a touch of a finger or slide your foot over the rear pedal it can spoil you for life. Unlike the KTMS of the 80s era thats a different story. I wish i could put brembos on my bike i would be very happy then, i just like having strong brakes, and yes my friends almost went over the bars the first time they used the front brake on my KTMs, i feel the brembos are the strongest on any production bikes including the hondas.

• beezer

Posted September 02, 2008 - 06:40 AM

Soon the bike will be 11 years old.

The bike is tired, let it rest.

• matt4x4

Posted September 02, 2008 - 07:01 AM

Beezer forgets it's a Yamaha!
Maybe Beezer should visit the Honda forum, beezerisms are more apt to make sense there.

• beezer

Posted September 02, 2008 - 07:47 AM

Pretty soon you can take it to PG movies.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted September 02, 2008 - 01:25 PM

Soon the bike will be 11 years old.

The bike is tired, let it rest.

A beezer post without reference to cans, cheap beer, or qwads?:thumbsup:

What did you do to the real beezer? :worthy:

Nothing wrong w/ 11 year old bikes unless you hate changing bearings, brake hoses, cables, and rebuilding things

• freeriders98

Posted September 02, 2008 - 01:59 PM

[quote name='JSanfilippo']The complaint about the front brake is legit. IIRC the older WRs use the setup where the cable is routed below the fork tube, then comes up to the brake caliper. My cousin has an '01 YZf with this setup and it is sub-par. The front brake on my old TT-R (CR style routing)gave a crisper feel at the lever and had more stopping power than the old under the fork tube setup. The only reason why the TT-R had this style hose routing is because its a playbike. I believe Honda's patent applied to competition bikes.When Honda's patent on the hose routing expired, all of the OEMs went to that setup on their competition bikes.

To make the front brake better on the older bikes, a CR style hose routing kit would probably get the job done . The more direct route for the brake fluid to travel does wonders for feel and stopping power...

Thanks for that. I was planning on re-routing the brake line this winter if I can find some extra cash. My buddy said it is way better, but good to hear it from someone else to. He can be a talker sometimes times, and not sure how much credit to give it.

• freeriders98

Posted September 02, 2008 - 02:07 PM

Would putting on aftermarket rotors help? I was looking through my motosport parts catalog, and they have some waved ones that are stock size.

• kjr247

Posted September 02, 2008 - 05:43 PM

Here is a crazy thought. My back brake was also weak. However, when I was cleaning it I noticed the rear reservoir was slightly (had to take a real close look at it to see it) melted/warped from the exhaust pipe. I could not see this from the outside view. The reservoir still had clean fluid in it but the seal was compromised and was losing a little bit of pressure when using the back brake. I got a new reservoir assembly and flushed the system/fresh pads and it was much better. I fabricated a small aluminum deflector that I installed in between the reservoir and the pipe and it keeps things cool. Just a thought.

• ready fredy

Posted September 03, 2008 - 04:44 AM

Well to defend this old bike ill put the motor up against any NEW 450 made today in the woods yamaha did a fantastic job with the motor its the best of all worlds.The only issue would be parts availability for some one who is a serious racer and goes through alot of parts on a regular basis. The 450s are smoother but no faster! Ill look in deeper to see if i can find the culprit of this problem, Ive heard of an after market brake lever and linkage, Do you know of any brand names??? Like i said ive owned 3 Wrs and all 3 rear brakes are the same just plain weak. Its not a huge issue because of it being a four stroke but if i want to lock up the rear wheel and slide into a turn it just isnt going to happen. If this was a 2 stroke i would be pissed big time!!!

• beezer

Posted September 03, 2008 - 06:12 AM

Pretty soon you can ride it in the vintage class.

Stop spraying the rear disc with chain lube.

• ready fredy

Posted September 04, 2008 - 04:58 AM

Well i am of the age where i qualify im a classic also hahaha. Just try the brembos once and you will see what im talking about they will stop you right now!! even with the rotor covered with lube!!!!!!

• beezer

Posted September 04, 2008 - 07:33 AM

Fredy I can barely afford cheap beer and you want me to buy brembos?

BTW PBR's rule!

• freeriders98

Posted September 27, 2008 - 06:39 PM

What is a good set of steel brake lines to put on a 98 WR400

• Yamaharevable

Posted September 27, 2008 - 08:25 PM

[quote name='freeriders98'][quote name='JSanfilippo']The complaint about the front brake is legit. IIRC the older WRs use the setup where the cable is routed below the fork tube, then comes up to the brake caliper. My cousin has an '01 YZf with this setup and it is sub-par. The front brake on my old TT-R (CR style routing)gave a crisper feel at the lever and had more stopping power than the old under the fork tube setup. The only reason why the TT-R had this style hose routing is because its a playbike. I believe Honda's patent applied to competition bikes.When Honda's patent on the hose routing expired, all of the OEMs went to that setup on their competition bikes.

Thanks for that. I was planning on re-routing the brake line this winter if I can find some extra cash. My buddy said it is way better, but good to hear it from someone else to. He can be a talker sometimes times, and not sure how much credit to give it.[/QUOTE]

What the hell I better not be the buddy/talker you are refering to here or I will gut your chickens. You had better have other friends.

BTW everyone knows the CR style routing is better. That is why everyone made a kit for all Jap bikes. KTM had the Honda style routing because they were not bound by the Japanese patent being a European bike maker.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.