keihin or edelbrock carb

7 replies to this topic
  • punk24

Posted August 30, 2008 - 04:07 PM

I have the stock keihin on my 99 wr400. What are your opinions on the edelbrock. Been thinking of switching.

• creeky

Posted August 30, 2008 - 04:56 PM

I had an Edelbrock on my '00 WR400 for a while. The bike ran strong from idle to max revs with power delivery a little more mellow and more linear than with the stock FCR. Jetting for altitude was a snap, just turn the needle adjuster a few clicks. Fuel mileage was better than the FCR. Unfortunately, the Eddy was an older non-pumper that I had used on several other bikes and it became too worn to deliver reliable performance. It is now on the parts shelf. Summarizing, the FCR delivered marginally better acceleration and a slightly stronger top end than the Eddy, but I liked the Eddy better.

• ncampion

Posted August 31, 2008 - 08:53 AM

Edelbrock hands down. No jet problems, easy to adjust and you don't have to worry about the cracked slide issue. Be sure to get a pumper carb of course.

• William1

Posted August 31, 2008 - 09:11 AM

Cracked slide issues with the FCR were only with the early style FCR. Last two iterations have had no such problems.
The comment about no jet problems is blatantly false. All carbs need to be 'jetted' ie, adjusted correctly. A FCR is a combination of jets, needls and clip positions, the Edel is a single needle. To set WOT, you change the needle (FCR, you change the MJ), to set idle, you change the needle (FCR, you change the Pilot jet), to adjust between, you change the needle poistion or needle ((FCR, you change do the same). No real difference. However, the availability of a broad range of tuning parts for the Edel is limited. Now for some bikes, the needle it needs is readily available. For others, none to be found. With a FCR, parts are stocked at many dealers as nearly all off road bikes use it.

I prefer a FCR due to the availability of parts and fairly large aftermarket support.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncampion

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:31 AM

Cracked slide issues with the FCR were only with the early style FCR. Last two iterations have had no such problems.

He's talking about a 99 WR400 which definitely did have the cracking slide problem.

As far as jets go, you forgot to mention the FCR also has a leak jet and an adjustable fuel screw (jet). The pilot jet is extremely small and prone to getting obstructed even with clean fuel.

After spending a few years trying to keep my FCR working properly and rejetting for even minor altitude changes, replacing three cracked slides (one of which got sucked into the engine in the middle of Baja) and spending a few hundred dollars for small parts, I gave up and put on the Edelbrock. After spending about ten minutes to dial it in, I have not had a single problem with it for over three years. When I go over 5000 ft, I know to give it a half turn to lean it up a little and it's perfect.

You can't convince me that because you can get parts easy, that the FCR is the better carb. The fact is, the Edelbrock doesn't need any parts.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 02, 2008 - 12:09 PM

A 9 year old bike probably needs other things than a new expensive carburetor. JMO

• WR250F Captain

Posted September 02, 2008 - 12:15 PM

go with the quicksilver pumper. they make awesome carbs and according to them, they make more power than the FCR.

btw, not all FCR's have leak jets, mine doesn't. all the parts inside the FCR are designed for that company. like people put honda diaphrams in KTM FCR's

• creeky

Posted September 02, 2008 - 02:13 PM

I might add to my previous post, that if I planned to keep my WR400, I would absolutely be getting a new Edelbrock for it and the FCR would be in a plastic bag.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.