Pipe/header are stuck tight

4 replies to this topic
  • DMC707

Posted August 29, 2008 - 08:07 PM

New DR D exhaust system on my '08 YZF has about 1 hour of time on it

was doing some other work and needed the exhaust out of the way----- it has seemingly welded itself together to the point that i had to take the shock out to remove it

exhaust is stainless with a carbon can -- therefore, i don't really want to put "hammer of Thor" leverage on the muffler to break it loose and it is a weird slippery thing to work with

crap ---- i know about anti-seize, but usually just worried about it when joining dissimilar metals

30 minutes of this has me :thumbsup: -- cussing

• ZMoney520

Posted August 29, 2008 - 08:12 PM

My DR D is hard to get apart as well. I just leave the header attached and take both bolts out of the exhaust. Then turn the exhaust side to side while pulling with an up and down motion. Sounds dirty right? LOL. It still takes a while but it slowly comes off. Still dirty right? Can't describe it without it sounding bad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brianmx

Posted August 29, 2008 - 08:13 PM

if you heat up the can and use a wet towel to keep the head pipe cool and try to seperate them that way. just a shot in the dark

• yz007f

Posted August 30, 2008 - 11:04 AM

Pretty much all aftermarket pipes do that unless you pull them apart alot. I find sand and mud gets in there and pretty much welds them together.. I found what was said already is really the only way to them apart. I have found to use high temp silcone to kinda seal it off. I have found this works when you want to pull it apart. Once you do have it apart file down the high spots so it goes together easy.

• DMC707

Posted August 31, 2008 - 05:38 PM

Got it ---- geez --- i used a waxy chain lube called "white lightning" on the header/muffler juncture and it penetrated and slicked it up within 5 minutes

Bike had been ridden one clean hour -- no mud , water or anything -- just good 'ol galvanic corrosion

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.