Head & Piston

4 replies to this topic
  • Brett

Posted February 09, 2001 - 01:22 AM

Anybody got any tips or advise on the best way to clean the carbon deposits off the head and piston-crown.

While I'm waiting for my new crankcases I need something to do!!

• Bill

Posted February 09, 2001 - 03:15 AM

I would think media blasting. It is similar to bead blasting, but uses a plastic media. It is said to remove very little if any metal. I would still tape off the gasket (head) and skirt areas (piston).

I've seen people use wire wheels :), but would not advise that.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 09, 2001 - 03:53 AM

A gasket scraper and a little elbow grease works well too.

Nick

• SFO

Posted February 09, 2001 - 07:11 AM

I worked in a cylinder head shop where we used a high pressure hot water and baking soda to non-destructively clean cylinder heads.
Of course this requires complete disassembly,
but you were going to do that anyway, right?
Otherwise I would not even waste my time scratching around.
Any abrasive media will leave remnants in the head, beware...
I have learned this the hard way, bucket motors hate beadblasters...

• yzf

Posted February 12, 2001 - 02:00 PM

yamaha sell's a product called combustion chamber cleaner let it soak it for a while it works great

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.