Master link removal

15 replies to this topic
  • ubu

Posted August 28, 2008 - 02:45 PM

So I have this nice O-ring chain with a clip style master link. I had to press the outer plate on. Now, the question is, how do I get it off and be able to re-use the link? The last time I removed the chain, I bent the outer plate trying to pry it off, and I ended up using my breaker and buying a new master link. I thought the point of the clip style links was for ease of removal and such.

• Dustin421k

Posted August 28, 2008 - 02:50 PM

My dad has these special plyers that he uses, i can't remember the name of them, but im sure a flat screwdriver and a hammer will work?

• mark dude99

Posted August 28, 2008 - 03:05 PM

flat screwdriver

and wear safety glasses because sometimes it flys off a bit

• piedralone

Posted August 28, 2008 - 03:49 PM

WD 40 or such, soak well.

• k digitty

Posted August 28, 2008 - 04:48 PM

I use Long Nose Pliers. Put one point on the rivet and the other on the point on the end of the clip (where it splits). Soak in WD 40 if needed. look in the TT store for master link pliers. They do a much better job.

• Bruised Squid Dinner

Posted September 24, 2008 - 03:55 PM

Anyone have a problem with clip-type masters? I just installed a professional DID o-ring chain on my yz and I was reading the warning on the master link packaging:

clip type connecting link has less strength than rivet type connecting link. Endless links or rivet type links are recommended at any time for o-ring chains.

I'm pissed, why didn't they supply me with one? On denniskirk it says what part number it is for the rivet, but they don't have it even listed. I am heated- now I have to order one and wait for it to come it. I will deal with the clip type, but the lack of strength scares me.

Any help is appreciated!

• stk0308

Posted September 25, 2008 - 03:24 PM

I get what your saying ubu. The clip isn't the problem. It's removing the plate once the clip is gone. I've got a problem with this too. I really don't want to use my chain breaker tool to destroy the master link either, but I'm not seeing alternatives here.

• Chuck.

Posted September 25, 2008 - 10:32 PM

I've used conventional master links on "O" ring chains since they first became available without any problems. In the absence of others posting problems with the master link supplied with "O" ring chains I wouldn't worry.

If I was still racing I might be a little more critical in my selection of master links.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • craig3x

Posted March 22, 2010 - 08:21 PM

I get what your saying ubu. The clip isn't the problem. It's removing the plate once the clip is gone. I've got a problem with this too. I really don't want to use my chain breaker tool to destroy the master link either, but I'm not seeing alternatives here.

so how did you do it? once I got the clip off my masterlink, it looks like the pins are actually bigger than the hole they came through?? this would require a chainbreaker, correct? I did not put this chain on and am wondering how it actually gets installed? Do I need to get a new masterlink?

• ubu

Posted March 22, 2010 - 08:36 PM

year and a half old thread revived:ride:
I still haven't figured it out completely:busted: But last time I was able to pry the plate off with a screwdriver. It went flying and I lost an o-ring. I got a new o-ring and installed the link using channel-lock pilers. The first install, I used my chain breaker as a press by backing the pin out and using the outer clamp side of the breaker to squeeze it on.

• RMXC51

Posted March 22, 2010 - 10:51 PM

I use a chain breaker, a little at a time. Takes a few extra minutes to get the link off, but doesn't damage it. Goes back on with pliers and patience.

• HNR_Engineer

Posted March 23, 2010 - 08:25 AM

Not sure if this has been suggested before but it was taught to me this way and i have never had an issue.

When you work with the link or joining a chain etc always wrap it half/half around the rear sprocket. In other words, the join in the chain should always meet half way around the rear sprocket. This ensures there is little tension on the link you are working with. This makes all the work on removing and adding the link easy.

If the link plate is tight then use a flat screw driver that is just wider than the two lobes of the chain so that it pushes the link plate off both links equally. This does not damage the plate.

If there is no link in the chain as most factory bikes are then when you grind off the link also ensure you grind off the link that is halfway around the rear sprocket.

• CamP

Posted March 23, 2010 - 09:03 AM

If you are going to run sealed chains, you really should invest in a proper chain press with the riveting and pin removal attachments. Screwing around with the wrong tools can cost you big bucks when the chain flies off and takes out your engine cases.

• 7point62

Posted March 23, 2010 - 09:42 AM

If you are going to run sealed chains, you really should invest in a proper chain press with the riveting and pin removal attachments. Screwing around with the wrong tools can cost you big bucks when the chain flies off and takes out your engine cases.

+1. I would be very cautious about re-using masterlinks for the exact same reason. But then I've never had a chain break in nearly thirty years of riding bikes (although there's a first time for everything).:thumbsup:

When I have to remove a chain it's nature's way of telling me that it's time to drop the swingarm and regrease the pivot and linkage bearings. I never bother splitting a chain - if I'm simply changing gearing there's enough room on my bike to wriggle the front sprocket off once the chain is slackened. Assembling the masterlink on a new chain is easier with the chain on the bench than on the bike too, but then I'm getting too old for scrabbling around on the workshop floor anyway. :lol:

• Booger2

Posted March 23, 2010 - 04:46 PM

http://www.rockymoun...odFamilyId=2051

I use this to remove the master link.

Booger2

• slomojo

Posted March 24, 2010 - 12:00 PM

I never use a master.I buy the chain longer than I need,and use a regular link.I press it back together and peen it over slightly.Much stronger than a master and always available.

Related Content

Reviews

Suzuki DR650S 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR650S 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z70 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z70 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

OSSA Explorer 2013 by Chris.GVS

OSSA Explorer 2013
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Suzuki DR650S 2013 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR650S 2013
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.