California /Sound again!

20 replies to this topic
  • Tom14911

Posted December 28, 2002 - 06:51 AM

I'm sure this has been covered and after I did a search I couldn't find anything that really addressed the problem. Where I ride sound checks are now happening on the weekends. I have an FMF Q pipe with a power bomb header on my 01 426. I also re-installed the airbox lid. My last test was 96.6 db. I repacked the pipe and am now hoping for better results. My question is this...Does anybody know any modifications for the Q pipe that will make it any quieter? ie drilling holes, packing tips, etc.

Thanks in advance Tom Maguire

• bigdrtrdr

Posted December 28, 2002 - 07:18 AM

FMF welded a stainless steel V shaped piece into my Q and its now at about 94-95 db. PM me your e mail address and I'll send you a photo of it.

• John_Lorenz

Posted December 28, 2002 - 08:19 AM

When you repack use a 1 inch layer of stainless steel wool

The wrap a single layer of fmf packing in it overlap only about 1/2 inch

The wool will allow for better flow from the perferated holes in the core

• bigdrtrdr

Posted December 29, 2002 - 08:14 AM

Also remind the tester that there is a +/- 2 db limit for field testing. Found this out at the Oregon sand dunes. So if the limit is 96 and you field test at 98 you still get to ride!

• Tom14911

Posted December 29, 2002 - 03:08 PM

My understanding is that the + / - 2 db was with the old limit of 101 db in California. No + / - with the new limit. Californians any input?

Tom

• NORCALRIDE

Posted December 29, 2002 - 05:13 PM

The ranger I spoke with told me there is no more leighway anymore. 96dba means 96dba, he went on to say if you tested at 96.5, he personally would let it slide. It's nice that they are soo strict about the sound, especially because i have found a 5dba descrepency in their testing depending on the day or place I have been tested. :)

• Air450

Posted December 29, 2002 - 06:24 PM

especially because i have found a 5dba descrepency in their testing depending on the day or place I have been tested.

You are right! When I used to live by LAX airport, some days it sounded like you were standing on the runway and some days you could barely or not even hear the jets. Some days the sound just carries and some days it doesn't? It is called the atmosphere. How is the state going to calibrate this? Kinda like they do the radar guns. Humidity, clouds, dry Santa Ana's, heat, cold, etc...

• Tom14911

Posted December 29, 2002 - 06:38 PM

Norcalride

You must ride in Stony too!

Tom

• CY_in_CA

Posted December 29, 2002 - 06:54 PM

What about Clear Creek. Any buddy getting sound checked there? We're going this weekend, and I haven't changed things yet.

• techman

Posted December 29, 2002 - 07:20 PM

Tom14911, find the web page with the wording of the new sound law and note it's specific reference to SAE J1287, grab a copy of SAE J1287 and you'll find the specific +/- tolerances. Someone posted a link a while ago.

Norcalride, if you get same above and show it to the ranger, he'll have to change his tune because that's what he's enforcing. Knowledge can be power. Letting a secret out, get tested on a humid/raining day and you'll test lower. Also try to find a grassy spot with 6" to 1ft grass vs hard ground and you should test a bit quieter too. In the spirit of the cause, however, you should do (when possible) whatever mods to score sub 96 consistently on hardpack on clear days.

I'm interested in the V shaped piece in the Q as well. Can a pic be posted or pm'ed?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NORCALRIDE

Posted December 29, 2002 - 07:22 PM

I was actually referring to metcalf and hollister but Idon't see why stonyford or any other riding area would be different. Been tested at 105 and 102 at metcalf and 99 at hollister with my Thunder Alley. Does anyone know if they are testing at CC Camp or Cow mountain?

I'm saying screw it for now, this is going to end up like the red sticker fiasco starting in '98. The rangers were hard a$$es at first about the red sticker riding dates, then they figured out that some got red and some got green for identicle bikes. No sense in excluding some while others slide by because of varriables out of their controll, meaning the DMV's random stickering. Now it is coming to attention that there are too many varriables for the sound testing - atmospheric pressure, exhaust temp, where the ranger is standing while testing, how fat the ranger is, are you being tested over sand, gravel, dirt asphalt?!?!?!?!?! All of these things will change the reading of the dba meter. I think rangers will quickly get tired of dealing with pissed off riders every weekend that have passed before or at other places and are turned away because they don't pass on this particular day. I know I won't just say thank you and turn around and drive home three hours if this happens to me!

• shutebloke

Posted October 23, 2006 - 06:10 PM

Can you send me a photo of this "V" shaped device?. I have a Q2 on a WR400 and failed a sound test a week or so ago, my reading was 98dB.
I did see while I was at the event a Q2 with a piece of Metal covering the outlet of the muffler this I assume this is to deflect the sound away from the sound meter during the test.

• mxjosh

Posted October 23, 2006 - 10:26 PM

I ride Hollister, Carnegie and Metcalfe. I get serious flack for the red sticker thing. This last weekend I went to Carnegie thinking it was ok to ride in Oct because its a state park like Hollister but I got denied. No argument, no excuses...go away, come back Nov. 1. Last June, on the the 1st, I showed up to Hollister with my 2003 YZ250 w/brand new, freshly issued by DMV, green sticker. They pulled me over to side, took off my number plate, scraped off the paint on my freshly painted frame to see the VIN#, 15 mins later they come back and rip off my green sticker and tell me to go home. I don't know of any ranger cutting slack to anyone. Especially an older ranger at Hollister, he is just flat out rude and insulting.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 23, 2006 - 11:18 PM

They pulled me over to side, took off my number plate, scraped off the paint on my freshly painted frame to see the VIN#, 15 mins later they come back and rip off my green sticker and tell me to go home.

Go back, get his name and send him the bill to get your frame re-painted. There should be no reason to do that, yamaha uses a punch to stamp the VIN on the frames and even if you painted over it you should be able to clearly see the VIN. Unless you painted that area to the point where it was perfectly smooth.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 24, 2006 - 07:29 AM

I'm sure this has been covered and after I did a search I couldn't find anything that really addressed the problem. Where I ride sound checks are now happening on the weekends. I have an FMF Q pipe with a power bomb header on my 01 426. I also re-installed the airbox lid. My last test was 96.6 db. I repacked the pipe and am now hoping for better results. My question is this...Does anybody know any modifications for the Q pipe that will make it any quieter? ie drilling holes, packing tips, etc.

Thanks in advance Tom Maguire

Isn't the whole point of buying the Q pipe is to be under 96db. This is a misrepresentation.

I have a factory 4 pipe and bought the 96db quiet insert for it. It tested at 97.1db, so I put the factory pipe back on and use a pmb insert.

I still have the stock insert incase anyone gets really strict with me. However, I hope that doesn't happen?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 24, 2006 - 07:36 AM

I ride Hollister, Carnegie and Metcalfe. I get serious flack for the red sticker thing. This last weekend I went to Carnegie thinking it was ok to ride in Oct because its a state park like Hollister but I got denied. No argument, no excuses...go away, come back Nov. 1. Last June, on the the 1st, I showed up to Hollister with my 2003 YZ250 w/brand new, freshly issued by DMV, green sticker. They pulled me over to side, took off my number plate, scraped off the paint on my freshly painted frame to see the VIN#, 15 mins later they come back and rip off my green sticker and tell me to go home. I don't know of any ranger cutting slack to anyone. Especially an older ranger at Hollister, he is just flat out rude and insulting.

This is sad but expected. A yz is not a green sticker bike, we know it, they know it, they know that we know it.

As far as scraping off the paint, I think that they should have given you the option of doing that yourself. At least then you could have decided to simply go home instead of messing up your paint.

The real problem is that the DMV should not be making these kinds of mistakes.

• XHMXR

Posted October 24, 2006 - 03:09 PM

The ranger I spoke with told me there is no more leighway anymore. 96dba means 96dba, he went on to say if you tested at 96.5, he personally would let it slide. It's nice that they are soo strict about the sound, especially because i have found a 5dba descrepency in their testing depending on the day or place I have been tested. :mad:

The descrepancy is not in the tester (instrument). I think you meant to say a .5dba not a 5dba descrepancy. The problem is that if he lets it slide and you ride another park and they test you and write you a ticket, you are really going to be upset. They will sometimes give you up to 97.5. This makes up for the test conditions (grass deeper than 6 inches, loose soil, sound bounced off some object, background noise, wind over 20 miles per hour and so forth) but to depend on that number between test locations would be foolhardy. An earlier post said, "they will give you 98 dba". That is high and not supposed to happen according to the protocalls that govern the sound test procedure for CA. He may be right about Oregon but then its different between states. That means though that you could leave Oregon and think you are OK and then receive a ticket in CA. I'd try to stay as close to 96dba as possible.

• XHMXR

Posted October 24, 2006 - 04:33 PM

Also remind the tester that there is a +/- 2 db limit for field testing. Found this out at the Oregon sand dunes. So if the limit is 96 and you field test at 98 you still get to ride!

You are dreaming. The sound tester knows what he/she is doing and knows exactly what the leeway is. 98 dba is not legal in CA. What does Oregon have to do with CA. NOTHING . The only bikes that can run over 96 were built 1998 or earlier and are listed in RPM data book as a competition bike and are allowed 101dba and I think if there were too many of those running around drawing complaints, they would probably have to limit their use to sanctioned events only or they may have to drop to 96 also.

• XHMXR

Posted October 24, 2006 - 04:51 PM

When you repack use a 1 inch layer of stainless steel wool

The wrap a single layer of fmf packing in it overlap only about 1/2 inch

The wool will allow for better flow from the perferated holes in the core

Hi John. If you do this and you use a compression release on a four stroke which holds the exhaust valve open, you will end up sucking small particles of the wool into the cylinder. If the throttle is closed and the exhaust valve is held open, the only place that the cylinder can get air on the intake stroke is through the exhaust pipe. It typically shorts out the sparkplug and can cause a lot of cylinder/piston scoring. I have seen people pull down engines because it sounds like something is rattling around in the cylinder and have seen the ends of aluminum pop rivets in the cylinder from using them to attach the end of the muffler after repacking.(the vibration in the pipe gradually wears through the aluminum pop rivets if you dont change packing over a long period of time.

• mxjosh

Posted October 24, 2006 - 05:01 PM

This is sad but expected. A yz is not a green sticker bike, we know it, they know it, they know that we know it.

As far as scraping off the paint, I think that they should have given you the option of doing that yourself. At least then you could have decided to simply go home instead of messing up your paint.

The real problem is that the DMV should not be making these kinds of mistakes.

Well actually the 2002 YZ is green sticker and looks exactly like my YZ. But I get the point.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.