'03 450f

4 replies to this topic
  • tj_mx104

Posted August 28, 2008 - 08:09 AM

I recently made the switch from 2stroke to 4stroke!
:thumbsup:

haha, and I'm very new to whats different on working with them and aftermarket parts.
Need less to say, I was shocked at how much easier they were to ride and how much power they have! But lets get down to business!

Does anybody have the time for intervals of stuff needed done on them?

I do the air filter after every ride with no exceptions, Changing the oil every 3 to 4 rides. But how long before I do the oil filter, check valves?
I bought it last monday with a new engine that had only 5 minutes on it. I have it up to around 5 or 6 hours now.

Beeing a noob to any four-stroke dirtbike, any help with almost anything would help.

• Deviant253

Posted August 28, 2008 - 08:23 AM

If the motor was fresh i would have already changed filters because a fresh motor can leave tiny little metal peices in the oil after break in. i have one of those reusuable filters on my 250f and they are well worth the money (around $60). i say if your using regular oil filters i would change them ever other oil change. as far as the valves go some people say every 30 or so hours depending on how you ride it. most people will just wait until the bike gets hard to start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tj_mx104

Posted August 28, 2008 - 09:24 AM

If the motor was fresh i would have already changed filters because a fresh motor can leave tiny little metal peices in the oil after break in. i have one of those reusuable filters on my 250f and they are well worth the money (around $60). i say if your using regular oil filters i would change them ever other oil change. as far as the valves go some people say every 30 or so hours depending on how you ride it. most people will just wait until the bike gets hard to start.

Ok, thanks man!
ill keep that reusable oil filter in mind, I got two normal oil filters after that ill prolly get one! but yeah im doing the oil change today to get rid of the shavings befroe I ride again! I dont like to rev the bike that much I use the low end ALOT to get the tractable power out.

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2008 - 10:46 AM

how long before I do the oil filter, check valves?

Filter, every oil change. I use a Scotts, so I have no temptation to, or excuse for, not having it clean each time. Valves should be checked once shortly after breakin, at say 5 hours, just for reference. This will catch the occasional assembly error, and the odd valve that settled into its seat more than usual. After that, it's whatever you're comfortable with. Neither of my current 450's have ever needed an adjustment, and my '03 before that went 5 years without one that I know of.

• tj_mx104

Posted August 29, 2008 - 11:43 AM

Filter, every oil change. I use a Scotts, so I have no temptation to, or excuse for, not having it clean each time. Valves should be checked once shortly after breakin, at say 5 hours, just for reference. This will catch the occasional assembly error, and the odd valve that settled into its seat more than usual. After that, it's whatever you're comfortable with. Neither of my current 450's have ever needed an adjustment, and my '03 before that went 5 years without one that I know of.

alright ill keep that in mind, i know engine repairs are verryy expensive on 4strokes. I just dont have the money to detonate a engine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.