wr running rough in top gear only?

16 replies to this topic
  • mcinallywr

Posted August 27, 2008 - 10:27 PM

hey guys new to the wr scene and loving it!
only picked my bike up last week and have done 150 miles already.
problem only started after i refueled the bike two nights ago.
the bike has started to cutout in top gear , seems very strange as i can pull from low down in fourth all the way to limiter no probs but as soon as i change in to top it starts hesitating and pulsing no matter what throttle position im in .
i have fitted a new plug and air filter and made no difference.
any help or ideas would be much appreciated.cheers

• clark4131

Posted August 28, 2008 - 05:23 AM

Pull the carb, remove the hot start, fuel needle (complete with tiny spring, washer and o-ring), jets and fuel bowl, and clean everything with carb cleaner and compressed air. Make sure your jets are completely unblocked. Prior to putting it back together, consult the jetting database for a good benchmark for the proper jetting based on your alititude and temperature. If you need to alter the jetting, now's the time to do it. With the bike being new, I've seen it many times where a tiny piece of metal, plastec, etc. from the assembly process can plug up a passegeway or jet. Provided your running good gas, this should solve your problem. If it doesn't, let us know...SC

• mcinallywr

Posted August 28, 2008 - 08:15 AM

sorry mate my bike is a 2000 model with 1500miles .
cleaned carb still no better
just cant understand why in top gear and not fourth:confused:

• roushxteam199

Posted August 28, 2008 - 08:38 AM

clark glad to see your back in good health. Could he have a bad 5th gear. Cause why would it not do it in all gears if it was other things

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 28, 2008 - 09:34 AM

IS it just at a steady throttle position/cruising or under load as well?

Just trying to rule out TPS... but I don't know if that even applies on a 2000 model.

I would also rule out a vaccum leak maybe... how did the plug look?

• mcinallywr

Posted August 28, 2008 - 11:37 AM

was out on bike tonight and done 20 miles trouble free without going in to top gear , so it looks like a gearbox issue. nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted August 28, 2008 - 01:18 PM

Are you running it on the road, or the dirt? Has the temperature dropped in recent days? What was the bike used for by the first owner?...SC

• mcinallywr

Posted August 29, 2008 - 03:11 AM

no changes in climate etc.

bike has always been used on the road.

how many hours labour do yous think it will cost to fix?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • doctorchopper

Posted August 30, 2008 - 01:02 AM

i had 5th gear break in half on my 01 426, i took the engine out and gave it to a mechanic, he changed 4th and 5th gear, 2 gear selectors, cam chain and a new set of piston rings for just under 600 euro.

• Ash26600

Posted August 30, 2008 - 01:57 AM

dodgy gear doesnt explain it....

maybe a fault neutral switch???

it because of load?
try short shifting into 4th and pull from real low......interesting!

i doubt 5 th gear it self is the problem, must be electrical.:thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 30, 2008 - 05:44 AM

Thats kinda what I am thinking... you have described the motor cutting out and it does not make sense that you have a "bad 5th gear" in your transmission... :thumbsup:

• brad the best

Posted August 30, 2008 - 11:04 AM

unless 5th is missaligned or something and binding up . to check if load is killing it , go up a hill in 4th .

i have had vehicles shut off turning left , weirder things have happened . that one was a ground cable problem .

• mcinallywr

Posted August 31, 2008 - 11:10 PM

the more i use the bike the more it feels like the gearbox jamming slightly rather than it cutting out .
it pulls 100% in 4th all day no issues
as soon as i change in to 5th regardless of throttle position or load it starts playing up.
how can it be electrical if only in 5th?

• roushxteam199

Posted September 01, 2008 - 06:24 PM

thats what i think i said before. if it was carb related it would happen in other gears. either a bog, dead spot hestitation. same thing with electrical.
bad 5th gear i believe

• doctorchopper

Posted September 02, 2008 - 05:10 AM

It's a tough one to say, but i think 4th and 5th gear are on the same shaft so you should have problems in 4th as well if it was miss aligned, sounds to be like a electrical problem

• ww44wrf450f

Posted April 27, 2009 - 01:27 AM

I'm exp. same problem on my 06 lately,bog at top of 4th and mid and top of 5th, This started when i accidently left the choke on last weekend, yesterday cleaned the plug up and road great for a while, but when I play'n in some water, it started back up again, going to buy some new plugs and try agian? I've moved the head breather hose up in the air box, and still need to tee off my vent hose at the carb, but I never had this problem before play'n in some water, hopefully it is the plug?? but again I think my problem seems more electrical than the carb or maybe I'm runnin too rich??:banghead:

• William1

Posted April 27, 2009 - 02:05 AM

Try the new plug, also, drain the carb float bowl.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.