YZ426 radiator expansion tank

5 replies to this topic
  • Thrasherg

Posted August 27, 2008 - 06:39 PM

I use to own a WR400 and used it for trail riding, having moved to the USA 2 years ago (Austin, Texas) I want to restart. I just purchased a YZ426, probably not the best bike for trail riding, but the price was right! Anyway, my WR400 had a radiator overflow/expansion tank that use to fill up on hot days and long trails. I notice that the YZ does not have one and was wondering wether it would be a smart move to fit one? I did a search but didn't find anything, so just wondering what you think and if it's a good idea where can I get one? Obviously the WR tank will not fit as the subframe and side panels are a different shape.

Many thanks

Gary

• tnt85

Posted August 27, 2008 - 11:02 PM

I slaped on a WR tank on my 03 450, no problems.

• Thrasherg

Posted August 28, 2008 - 05:57 AM

I guess I will have to look again, I remember that the rear left panel on my WR had much more of a bend in it to go around the expansion tank!! As I get older my memory gets worse!! I will look for a WR tank on evilBay and try fitting it.

Thanks Gary

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • got5steelman

Posted August 28, 2008 - 06:54 AM

I fit a WR tank on my 05 YZ450, Had to fab 1 bracket for it to mount up to the sub frame. install a threaded insert into the sub frame and cut small piece of the fender, looks factory though. the other option is the Turkry baster mod. you use a turkey baster and some plugs and fitiing on the baster and mount it either in front or behind the radiator depending on where it will fit. There are some good posts on that mod on this site with pics. Do a web search for "turkey baster mod" and it should come up to the TT website.

• Thrasherg

Posted August 29, 2008 - 05:48 AM

Many thanks!! With that mod I should be able to ride and eat when I finish, although turkey isn't my favorite meat!! I will take a look, but the WR tank sounds like a good idea.

• tnt85

Posted August 29, 2008 - 09:18 AM

Here is how I did it:

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.