Thinking of a new WR to replace my 03

5 replies to this topic
  • Ak Yammy

Posted August 27, 2008 - 06:21 PM

Dealer has some good end of season prices is this worth doing? I am pretty happy with my 03 but would definitely like to revalve the suspension. Anyway I'm wondering if it would be night and day between a new one and my old steed.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted August 27, 2008 - 07:48 PM

the 07's and 08's are a different WR. I think you'll be happy, minus the suspension. I dragged my YZ up to Alaska a couple of years ago, I did some riding around Fairbanks (lovely town). It was great, except the trails all seemed to end in a peat bog. Jeff S

• mrpbdy

Posted August 27, 2008 - 09:35 PM

After years without a bike I bought a used, mostly stock, 02' wr 426. The thing really snorts! I liked it so much I decided I would give it to my son and buy another one so we could ride together. Anyway I stumbled across a good deal at a dealer about a month ago and bought an 08'. Out of the box it seems anemic. I have been doing the free mods and its finally starting to snort. I'm really happy with it, but if you buy a new one be patient and expect to do the mods listed on this forum if you want it to perform.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ak Yammy

Posted August 28, 2008 - 12:24 PM

Small world Jeff that Avatar photo was taken In a woodcutting area in Fairbanks, lived here 30 years. Many trails can end in a swamp which can also be a lot of fun (good mud tire helps). I usually stay high though and avoid a lot of the permafrost swamps but sometimes it's necessary to do a little mud bogging. Thanks for the advice on a new WR.

• Desracer

Posted August 28, 2008 - 04:18 PM

If you have the coin, DO IT! I went from an 05 to the 08 and love it. It really feels different from my 03 for the weight and balance point. Test ride one and see what you think, as your going to be the one riding it.

• blunko

Posted August 29, 2008 - 02:37 AM

After years without a bike I bought a used, mostly stock, 02' wr 426. The thing really snorts! I liked it so much I decided I would give it to my son and buy another one so we could ride together. Anyway I stumbled across a good deal at a dealer about a month ago and bought an 08'. Out of the box it seems anemic. I have been doing the free mods and its finally starting to snort. I'm really happy with it, but if you buy a new one be patient and expect to do the mods listed on this forum if you want it to perform.

This is soo true. My 08 seemed real lazy when new, almost bordering on disappointing. I ended up performing all the free mods with full Dr.d zorst system now on order and it's finally starting to become a real weapon. The new frame makes them feel MUCH sharper in the handling dept. But carby and rear shock access totally sucks! Am I happy? with the exception of the front brake, which I feel is a real poor performer, YES it's a great bike. Buy one!:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.