YZ 80 Handlebars on a WR 426?

13 replies to this topic
  • ryme

Posted December 27, 2002 - 07:44 PM

I found this post on another forum and I was wondering if this is a good setup? I didn't know if it would be right for me because I am 6'3 and 250 pounds.

handlebars for the woods
This is one of the best mods that I've learned while riding woods. I use stock Renthal yz80 bars. you will not have to cut these bars. they come stock 29 inches and about 1 inch higher than stock bars. Everything fits back onto the bars perfect. Nothing is crammed together on the bars due to the fact of different bends across the bar. My moose bark busters also work great with these also. I got this tip from Dwight Rudder a 7 time national class champion

• jmiakaike

Posted December 27, 2002 - 09:08 PM

ryme,
there is no difference between the yz80 bars and full size bars as far as the construction and diameter. they vary in width, since most 80 riders aren't as large... a lot of woods riders will cut down a full size of MX bars (usuall 30 to 32" wide bars) to 28 or 29"... i actually saw a set of pro tapers on Ebay, guy said they were the pastrana bend, but cut down to 28".... buying the 80 bar just means you don't have to cut them down, and they have nice finished ends, not the cut off ends. (not sure, but i believe you void the warranty if you cut pro taper bar, and probably others as well) :)

• yamaha.dude

Posted December 28, 2002 - 11:08 AM

if they are the original OEM type Factory bars, then they are still just made from large diameter sticks of solder...

Forget them - you should be able to get the right bend for you aftermarket, and then trim them if you want.

HTH,

David

• jmiakaike

Posted December 28, 2002 - 01:27 PM

Yamaha..
sorry, should have made that clearer, the guy in the post was not using stock bars.. but pro-tapers, renthals etc MADE for the yz80.. the stock bars are good as a breaker bar.... :)

• Florida_426

Posted December 28, 2002 - 01:45 PM

Machoman was the original post on this. he is running high quality after market bars in the YZ 80 bend. to look at his bike you would think it is all factory, right down to the bark busters. A really well thought out setup. He got the idea talking to Dwight Rudder, a multi time enduro and ISDT/E champion and medalist, as stated in the quote above. I think it would be wortha try for a woods rider.

Bill

• machoman_#618

Posted December 29, 2002 - 05:49 PM

Trust me you will giggle out loud when flying through the trees. These are the same bars Dwight Rudder runs(he rides a very trick xr400). I tell you what if you buy them and don't like them because everything don't fit back on PERFECT or because they slow you down :)(not going to happen) I'll give you back your purchase price :D.What I thought was tight woods has a new meaning now.I've even hit trees and broke ribs but the bars remain perfect.I also think the moose bark busters help them as for strength. If you race it will improve your lap times for sure.It will take you about a hour to get use to them.My only regrets? I didn't meet Dwight on my other three bikes. I can't ride bikes with wide bars now. It feels like I'm on a chopper.But if you don't like them I'll buy them from you.You can't loose....unless you slow down
they are renthal stock YZ80 bars

• jmiakaike

Posted December 29, 2002 - 07:45 PM

ryme,
you got nothing to lose...wow how often do you get someone that stands behind their advice like that...... hard to argue with... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ryme

Posted December 30, 2002 - 08:32 PM

Right on guys! Thanks for the advice, I am going to order the handlebars in the morning!

• Motomike1

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:15 AM

sorry to bring up an old thread, but doesn't the WR (I have a 2009 450) use 1-1/8 bars? how do they fit fit the 7/8 ya bars?

• MaxPower

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Older WR have 7/8 bars
If you need mini bars for a shorter with and still able to fit all the controls cleanly on the bars without cramming them together there are 1 1/8 bars available to fit minis that will work with your 450

Older WR have 7/8 bars
If you need mini bars for a shorter with and still able to fit all the controls cleanly on the bars without cramming them together there are 1 1/8 bars available to fit minis that will work with your 450
Is that what you are asking about?

• Motomike1

Posted June 17, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Older WR have 7/8 bars

Older WR have 7/8 bars
Is that what you are asking about?

this is what i'm considering, or just cutting the stock 2009 bars i have on it right now. But i think the wrap around handguards hit the number plate if i cut the dars down... :rant:

Edited by Motomike1, June 17, 2013 - 01:26 PM.

• MaxPower

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:30 AM

My problem has been having enough room on the strait part of the bar after shortening the width
The clutch perch can be pushed into the bend. I'm not sure what bend you would use but bars made for a 85 is a solution. It seems more riders use 1 1/8 bars now than old school 7/8. Cross bars never bothered me all that much

• Motomike1

Posted June 20, 2013 - 09:44 AM

I just ordered rc high bars from renthal, theycome stock on the yz80 2001. I'll let you now how they it with my handguards. Supposedly they're 740 mm wide while stock 2009 wr bars are 800 mm wide.

• ickfinger

Posted June 20, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Running minicycle bars on full size bikes is a trick wev'e been doing on the east coast since the 80's. Allows proper setup of handguards and controls due to narrower mid-section.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.