450f top end rebuild

4 replies to this topic
  • got5steelman

Posted August 27, 2008 - 08:47 AM

I am getting ready to replace the top end on my 450 this winter during the off season. Do I need to replace the crank and bearings or just stick with the top end? Valves,piston, rings etc. It is an 05 I bought used in 07 it had appx. 20 hours on it when I got it, and now probably in the neighborhood of 45-50.
It still has great compression, I am new to the 4 stroke scene, how long do the 4 strokes last before needing rebuilt? I am very meticulos on oil changes and air filter cleaning after every ride etc, check the valves at 30 hours and they where still spot on. When I tear it down I want to do it right if I am going to spend the time and money to rebuild it, I am a diesel mechanic so the expierience thing is not an issue just looking for some feedback on intervalves on rebuilds for a 4 sroke.

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2008 - 09:05 AM

My '03 went from '03 to January of '08 without ever needing a valve adjustment, or getting a top end, or anything other than two timing chains and oil and filter changes.

I'm thinking of dropping a set of rings in my oldest '06, which now has perhaps 100-120 hours on it, this fall, but that's mostly because I'm suspicious of the head gasket in that bike, and I figure I might as well, while I'm at it. It's never been apart before, either, except to replace a timing chain last spring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted August 27, 2008 - 10:31 AM

I change the piston, rings, wrist pin, and c-clips every 50 hours on my hour meter on my bikes. This is really just to be safe, you can go much longer than this. As far as valves go, if they haven't needed shimming, I wouldn't worry about them. Once you have had to shim them a couple times, I would replace the valves, as they will be getting thin enough that you could have problems down the road. Yamaha's are known for their great valve life, so unless you sucked dirt or damaged the valves in some other way, they should be fine with 50 hours on them. Most people get well over 100 hours out of Yamaha valves. At 50 hours your crank should be fine, again assuming that you have changed the oil regularly and kept foreign debris out of your bottom end.

• got5steelman

Posted August 28, 2008 - 07:00 AM

How many hours between timing chains? Is this a common issue with the YZ's? I was reading anothe r thread where some I valves where bent after 90 hours on a rebuild, he must not have changed the cam, gear or chain on that one. I will probably do the piston and rings and then at 90 - 100 do a complete.

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2008 - 07:54 AM

The timing chain should be a roughly annual thing. When you check the valve clearances, back the chain tension off and check the chain condition. It should move freely at each link and not have a tendency to kink.

DO NOT attempt to turn the engine over with the tensioner loose. The engine WILL jump time.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.