04 Yz450f Starting Problems

4 replies to this topic
  • yorkshireterrier

Posted August 27, 2008 - 01:12 AM

hi guys,i bought a yz450f about a month ago which was running great till a couple of days ago.basically,i ran it for about an hour and stopped for a bite to eat.when i came to start it up again nothing happened,then the kickstart was stuck solid at the top of the stroke and wouldnt budge at all.after a chat with a couple of guy at the track,i put the bike in 4th gear and pushed it backwards which then freed up the kickstart.the problem is,since doing that the bike hasnt started since and every so often when kicking over i get a bang out the tailpipe and petrol coming out the carb overflow pipe which i assume is flooding.i removed the dipstick and oil was overflowing too.a day later and the oil has finally dropped to normal but still not starting even with a new plug.i'm not very mechanically minded so would appreciate any info in plain terms,cheers guys.

• Dirtbiker05

Posted August 27, 2008 - 01:44 AM

did you try to bump start it? if it starts id get your valves checked.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yorkshireterrier

Posted August 27, 2008 - 01:54 AM

yeah i did,the bike fired but when touching the throttle it just died again

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2008 - 06:17 AM

i put the bike in 4th gear and pushed it backwards which then freed up the kickstart.the problem is,since doing that the bike hasnt started since and every so often when kicking over i get a bang out the tailpipe and petrol coming out the carb overflow pipe which i assume is flooding.i removed the dipstick and oil was overflowing too.a day later and the oil has finally dropped to normal but still not starting even with a new plug.i'm not very mechanically minded so would appreciate any info in plain terms,cheers guys.

The kick starter was probably stuck due to a trapped decompression pin; an occasional, temporary problem:

http://www.thumperta...979#post5314979

Your engine oil is over filled, and the level drops over time because it's a dry sump system:

http://www.thumperta...903#post5221903

The flooding carb is a problem. Get that fixed and the float level correctly set, and try again with a clean plug.

• yorkshireterrier

Posted August 27, 2008 - 06:51 AM

thanx for the info guys,will have a look at the carb

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.