should i trade for....

6 replies to this topic
  • jmodc919

Posted August 26, 2008 - 05:12 PM

hi guys i have a chance to trade my 98 cr 250 bike for a 02 yz 426...

nay or yea the 426 is all stock and valves are adjusted.. i have been reading the forums and i see horror stories on starting the bikes ***???? kinda of scares me about the bikes..... oh and i cant find the video on starting techniqe.. if some one could post a link i would appreciate it.. please looking for oppinions on the 426 thanks.....:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2008 - 05:40 PM

..... oh and i cant find the video on starting techniqe.. if some one could post a link i would appreciate it.. please looking for oppinions on the 426 thanks.....:thumbsup:

There's a reason the Common Threads sticky says, "Look here first". OK?

And yes, I'd make that trade.

• answerace

Posted August 26, 2008 - 06:17 PM

I have a 1998 yz400f and it starts first kick every time. If its been sitting for a day or so I give it one throtle twist and put the choke on and it starts first kick. So far I've never had to use the hot start valve. Don't be afraid of all the horror stories. The only thing i'm not too keen on is how easily the bike can be stalled out. Just have to get used to it. The last bike I rode was a 1987 yz250 and a 198x it175 (both 2smokes and both about 7 years ago). The yz 400 is my first bike in 7 years and I LOVE it. However be prepared to go over the bike and make sure the bolts stay tight or you might find yourself searching for replacements :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slinkyman16

Posted August 26, 2008 - 07:39 PM

id trade that thing in a second.. i have a 02 426.. and the thing starts first kick every time.. if its siting a day or two.. 1-2 twists of the throttle before the kick and it starts first time.. its a awsome bike..

• jmodc919

Posted August 26, 2008 - 07:50 PM

thanks guys im gonna make the trade this coming saturday and i will post pics of it when i get it oh anything in particular i should be looking for when i look at it thanks again in advance:thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted August 27, 2008 - 05:48 AM

I'd do it in a heartbeat. 426's are great bikes, very reliable, gobs of power, last forever when taken care of properly. Check all the obvious stuff- spokes, all bearings tight and smooth, air filter clean, etc. Also check for signs of stripped bolt heads or missing bolts that might indicate a ham-fisted owner trying to work on the bike but just beating it up in the process. Look over the frame closely for cracks (not common but it can happen) and big dents under the engine. See if the oil is clean, make sure the bike starts up and runs like it should.

• pbviking

Posted August 27, 2008 - 06:21 AM

have an 01 426

After I bought the bike (couple months agao) I changed all the fluids, went through the carb, and installed a new spark plug

Knock on wood but to this day I have not had trouble starting the bike hot or cold Within 3 kicks the bike is running

I am not sure why some many people have had trouble. Mechanically inclined?

How to Start a YZ426 (Video with Doug Dubach- Special Thanks to Yamaha Motors, and all the Good People at Dubach Racing Development)
(Requires QuickTime, or a player that will handle QT videos)
Part 1: (Cold Start) http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg

Part 2: (Hot Start) http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.