WR426 Odometer Pick Up Cover Removal Question

7 replies to this topic
  • critter

Posted December 27, 2002 - 03:17 PM

I saw a post on removing the odometer cover on the front wheel and putting a YZ seal and spacer in place of it. Has anyone done this ??? I see no room to install the seal. I'm a little "corn-fused" by this. :) :D

• sabin

Posted December 28, 2002 - 12:35 PM

On 2002 wr426 the hub is not the same as the yz and there is no way to put yz spacer...

• critter

Posted December 28, 2002 - 02:02 PM

Yeah....I found that out after I bought the parts and opened them. :)

• HaremScarem

Posted December 28, 2002 - 02:46 PM

I just left the hub in place and used a piece of Heat Shrink over the cable inlet. I Squeezed off the open end of the tubing with some pliers while it was hot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mmbasa

Posted December 28, 2002 - 03:36 PM

I went to Home Depot and got a rubber cap for 30cents and stuck it over the top. works like a charm and its color coded.

• sabin

Posted December 28, 2002 - 08:40 PM

I remember seeing somewhere a replacement aftermarket spacer with the form of out obo part but from aluminum with seal in it, but cannot remember where...

• bigdrtrdr

Posted December 29, 2002 - 08:07 AM

My 01 WR 426 has a Zipty racing spacer 9.95 and a yz seal 6.00 in it whats so different about the 02?

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted December 29, 2002 - 08:22 AM

The 02 models got a new front hub that is wider than the old unit. I owned both bikes and the old trick of using the YZ seal and spacer will not work anymore.
I have seen the Al covers that use the odometer drive seal on this web site. These folks at b&b aluminium are from down under. web page is clickable here
I'm not sure if the spacer will fit the '02 hub. There is a difference in the diameter. I could not fit a '01 odometer drive on my '02 front wheel.
For my '02 I just removed the odo cable and put a tight fitting plastic cap like some of the other folks here did.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.