Drowned bike with serius issues!

12 replies to this topic
  • durzer

Posted August 26, 2008 - 08:47 AM

Totally submerged the bike yesterday and oil has water in it.
Flushed it seven times already but is still milky,barely any signs of it being oil yet.

Sound excessive ? or just buy another gallon of cheapo oil and keep goig.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit
After running out of oil yesterday i waited for another gallon today.Drain bolt back in and topped up with a litre.Engine was very hard to start but got it going and ran it for 5 mins. Drain bolt out and it only trickled,even with filler cap and dip removed.Tipped bike over till it started coming out of the filler hole......and it kept coming! About 3 litres so far!
Checked water level in rad and overflow tank and looked fine.Oil still looked like the first flush.
What the hell is going on?

• lixno

Posted August 26, 2008 - 08:52 AM

Water can be a very big problem with the dirt bikes. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. you must keep putting 1lt of oil (not synthetic as it is very expensive), run the engine for a few minutes and then change it.
Stop when the oil is completely cleat and has no white signs. Don't forget to take off the oil filter as well and i believe that the bike will be OK.

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 26, 2008 - 08:59 AM

I had oil in the case this weekend. I drained from both drain bolts. bottom side and left side. i also change the filter and disconnected the hose below the filter and let i drain too. cheep oil and plenty of run throughs. By my estimate i had water in mine for 4-5 rides:cry: I did a deep water crossing but never dumped or stalled the bike. The bike did stall after the crossing but fired up after a few minutes while I emptied my boots.

• Fullbore4

Posted August 26, 2008 - 09:03 AM

Good going guy......did you have your swimsuit on.......it'll be fine......just keep changing oil.....I've done about the same thing with no problems

• face_plant

Posted August 26, 2008 - 09:24 AM

thats why i have not done the airbox mod on the wr
had it up to the seat, just pulled it out really fast
oil was fine
you should be ok some people use kerosene to flush it out

• durzer

Posted August 26, 2008 - 09:39 AM

Why the hard starting and not draining from the drain bolt on gear lever side?
These issues were'nt there yesterday.And why the large amount coming out?

Just checked rads again and still look full.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted August 26, 2008 - 11:10 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. I drowned a WR big time and had to ride it 20 miles to get it home.

I just drained the oil and filter twice and went riding. You may have water in your carb.

The bike I drowned was an 03 and my buddy owns it and still rides it every weekend.

• Bruised Squid Dinner

Posted August 26, 2008 - 11:20 AM

I had oil in the case this weekend. I drained from both drain bolts. bottom side and left side. i also change the filter and disconnected the hose below the filter and let i drain too. cheep oil and plenty of run throughs. By my estimate i had water in mine for 4-5 rides:cry: I did a deep water crossing but never dumped or stalled the bike. The bike did stall after the crossing but fired up after a few minutes while I emptied my boots.

Off subject- just like to say that better off dead is one of my favorite movies.:thumbsup:

On subject: I would have to agree with the cheap oil running through until clean advice. The bike should be fine. Must have been some deep shit. I luckily have never stalled and submerged any of my bikes- I just peg it, keep my balance, and hope for the best.:worthy:

• kjr247

Posted August 26, 2008 - 03:27 PM

I swamped mine earlier this year. I drained the oil (both the bottom and frame drain holes and took out the filter. I changed it 9 times and did start it between changes. The oil is still clear with no noticeable loss in power or compression. I thought I ruined mine too. It is fine, just completely drain the bike and restart until the "white" is gone. KJR

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 26, 2008 - 03:45 PM

I don't know if this has been asked but did you pull the spark plug and tip the bike upside down to get any water in the cylinder out? You said you had it running but also mention hard starting... you don't want a hydro a cylinder for too long.

Nice tank trap:thumbsup: I've found a few of those over the years going through the same thing you are. I caution you about cheap oil... try to match the spec in the manual atleast, the friction additives in some cheap oils can screw up the clutch fibers.

I second the oil filter thing, I would not run it without one but make sure you cycle some new filters in and out during the process...

So how does this happen on an 07'? The airbox fills with water enuf to be pulled in thru the CCV hose? It used to happen on the older WR's when the CCV hose just hung down below the flywheel cover:excuseme:

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 26, 2008 - 06:53 PM

I don't know if this has been asked but did you pull the spark plug and tip the bike upside down to get any water in the cylinder out? You said you had it running but also mention hard starting... you don't want a hydro a cylinder for too long.

Nice tank trap:thumbsup: I've found a few of those over the years going through the same thing you are. I caution you about cheap oil... try to match the spec in the manual atleast, the friction additives in some cheap oils can screw up the clutch fibers.

I second the oil filter thing, I would not run it without one but make sure you cycle some new filters in and out during the process...

So how does this happen on an 07'? The airbox fills with water enuf to be pulled in thru the CCV hose? It used to happen on the older WR's when the CCV hose just hung down below the flywheel cover:excuseme:

I've been trying to figure out where my water came from. I never stalled or fell over in any deep water. just rode through up to the bottom of the radiator.

• Desracer

Posted August 26, 2008 - 08:34 PM

You need to use a high detergent oil to clean your engine. I would have used ATF as it is a great cleaner and drains easy with about five minutes of run time. The light weight oil flows easy and drains easy also. How long did it take to get the bike out?

• durzer

Posted August 27, 2008 - 03:01 AM

You need to use a high detergent oil to clean your engine. I would have used ATF as it is a great cleaner and drains easy with about five minutes of run time. The light weight oil flows easy and drains easy also. How long did it take to get the bike out?

Bike was in for a couple of mins as the cold water shock got me out first!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.