What year/model front brake caliper will fit my 03 yz450?

2 replies to this topic
  • rufracer

Posted August 26, 2008 - 06:17 AM

I just bought an 03 yz450, and its missing a few parts in the front caliper. Ive found several calipers from 01, 02 yz 250s that claim they will fit, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, I was told I shouldnt run automotive oil in my yz because of the clutch. Is this true?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rufracer

Posted August 26, 2008 - 10:40 AM

ok, so i figured out the oil thing, but still dont know about the caliper.

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2008 - 02:35 PM

Go to most any online shop that sells parts for multiple lines of bikes (Crotchrocket, Yamaha of Troy, motogrid, etc) and look up the part number. Then back out to the first screen and search by part number only. This should return the same part several times. each time with a year/model that it fits to.

Then, if you decide to by it new, go to the TT OEM Store

In your case, it looks like the caliper is the same for all WR's, YZ's and YZF's from '03 - '04

As far as oil goes, automotive oil marked API ECII has the potential to cause clutch problems.

Car oils have also moved away from the better anti-wear additives for air pollution concerns. SJ oils are not as good as the older SG/SH oils in that respect. Later SM and many SL oils have several new moly based AW compounds that work as well as the older zinc/phosphorus additives, though. C graded oils usually did not suffer the reductions that SJ did, and CI-4 oils are pretty good.

Oil, in and of itself, is oil. Good synthetics are better in several ways to petroleum oils and to "pseudo-synthetics", but most of the base oils are pretty equal. What really separates the good stuff is the additive package. This is where most car and truck oils come up short for use in motorcycles that share the engine oil with the transmission. The transmission physically shreds the polymer additives used in most auto/truck oils to the point that they are no longer the same viscosity they were when you poured them in, and this can happen in less than two hours time in some cases. But some oils like Amsoil MCF/MCV, and Mobil 1 Racing 4T/V-Twin are blended using polymers created for use in multi-grade gear lubes and are up to the task. Amsoil MCF/MCV are even labeled API GL-1 for primary use as a transmission lubricant.

If you use an automotive oil, even a good one, plan on changing it every ride day. You can go 2-4 rides on an oil that will stay in grade.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.