Which WR4 model for project?

5 replies to this topic
  • TimMunro

Posted August 26, 2008 - 02:57 AM

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some info from those who have owned the older WR400 models. I'm looking to write a project piece for a magazine based on the original WR400 (1998?) as it's now a decade old.

In selecting which model to obtain for this I was wondering what comments anyone has on whether I should start with the original 98 model, which might make the best subject, or if there is any benefit in going for a '99, '00, other? model if there were any significant design improvements.

Would prefer to stick with one of the first few models in keeping with the theme, and also as it makes a more interesting back to back comparison with the latest model at the completion of the project.

Any thoughts?

T

• Alternative

Posted August 26, 2008 - 04:49 AM

The only major changes over the first generation WR's ('98-'02) were a newer carb and titanium valves in 2000. The WR's have always been solid machines, and there's nothing wrong with the 1998 ones.

• lixno

Posted August 26, 2008 - 08:47 AM

The only major changes over the first generation WR's ('98-'02) were a newer carb and titanium valves in 2000. The WR's have always been solid machines, and there's nothing wrong with the 1998 ones.

In fact the 2001 WR's went from 400cc to 426cc and got at the same time the titanium valves. Also the tank and the seat at the same 2001 models were flat (same as the YZFs).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted August 26, 2008 - 09:39 AM

I have had four WR's starting with a 99' 400, I had a 426, and 2 450's.

I cannot speak to any primary changes between 98' and 99'

My 99' was a beast, reliable as the day is long and I would put it next to the 07' 450 on a start line anyday.

The refinements over the past 10 years are so welcome though with the remote hot start, auto de comp, e-start, aluminum frame etc...

But they have also followed the same trend as automobiles that is, with more refinements the bikes have become increasingly harder to work on.:worthy:

My .02 cents, they should have left the SS valves in there.:thumbsup:

Good luck on the project!

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 26, 2008 - 09:42 AM

One thing that has essentially remained unchanged is the suspension and something Yamaha should take heed of:prof:

Give us YZ forks and a license plate before some of us start to de - fect.

• TimMunro

Posted August 27, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for that guys. Look like a '98 or '99 might do nicely.

T

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.