2005 Yz450f Versus 2007 Yz450f

6 replies to this topic
  • xorron5

Posted August 24, 2008 - 08:04 AM

Hi i got an crisp -05 yz450f from my shop and we agreed that after 1 month
i can swap it to an -07 model..(i have to pay 1000 euro for the change)
the money is not really the problem...but is the -07 mellover than the -05
i guite like the -05 ,but if the -07 has more grunt i dont mind having it(allways power hungry):worthy:
or is there down sides with the -07 model ? i read it won the -07 shootout
but then again i read that meny people wherent happy with their -07
smooth(weak basterd) power band...:thumbsup:

• DMC707

Posted August 24, 2008 - 09:19 AM

I would think the aluminum chassis alone would be worth the upgrade --- smooth power delivery does not necessarily mean weak

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2008 - 09:19 AM

The '05 was the "softest", most mellowed out of all the YZ450's to date. The '07 is significantly faster. Both bikes had the ignition mapping tweaked to reduce low end power and add it on top, but the '07 has a cam set that contributes further to this effect, and actually has more low and mid range than the '05 does, along with a very noticeable increase in top end.

Neither engine has the low speed grunt of a CRF or a KXF, or the explosive mid range of the '03-'04 YZ450, but the '07 is anything but slow. If you want a bike that thrills you because it feels really powerful and is kind of scary to ride, just get an '03. If you want some that will thrill you because you can hang with anything and beat your buddies on the track, the '06 or later is what you want. They don't feel as powerful or fast as some others, but side by side, they are.

Besides, the handling differences between the two are so huge that they are hard to explain in words. "Night and day" does not begin to show how much better the '07 is than the '05.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xorron5

Posted August 25, 2008 - 08:08 AM

Thank u grayracer for exelent breafing...:worthy:
and u dmc also..:thumbsup:

• DMC707

Posted August 27, 2008 - 07:53 PM

good luck with whatever your decision is

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted August 29, 2008 - 02:20 AM

2005 has the 4 speed gearbox, 2007 has a 5 speed gearbox as well.

• aggiemoto99

Posted August 29, 2008 - 11:48 AM

The '05 was the "softest", most mellowed out of all the YZ450's to date. The '07 is significantly faster. Both bikes had the ignition mapping tweaked to reduce low end power and add it on top, but the '07 has a cam set that contributes further to this effect, and actually has more low and mid range than the '05 does, along with a very noticeable increase in top end.

Neither engine has the low speed grunt of a CRF or a KXF, or the explosive mid range of the '03-'04 YZ450, but the '07 is anything but slow. If you want a bike that thrills you because it feels really powerful and is kind of scary to ride, just get an '03. If you want some that will thrill you because you can hang with anything and beat your buddies on the track, the '06 or later is what you want. They don't feel as powerful or fast as some others, but side by side, they are.

Besides, the handling differences between the two are so huge that they are hard to explain in words. "Night and day" does not begin to show how much better the '07 is than the '05.

many do not think the 07 turns better than the steel framed yz's did.

The suspension on the 07, however, is more than worth the upgrade.

Stock, it is quite good.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.