YZ400F Oil Leak / Airbox

3 replies to this topic
  • Chief

Posted August 24, 2008 - 08:00 AM

After riding my YZ400 the other day I found oil on the ground next to it after putting it away in the garage. I cleaned it up, but the next day there was more oil on the ground.
It appears to be leaking out of the air box drain tube, onto the chain and swingarm, then onto the ground.

Is this normal?
If it is how much should leak out?

I don't ride this bike often, usually during Green Sticker season when I can't ride my 250 2st. I did change the oil between the last time rode it and the most recent outing.
I am certain I filled it with the correct amount of oil, but let's say I didn't:

Would over-filling the bike cause it to push oil out that direction?
If so, is it harming the bike?

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2008 - 09:06 AM

If the crankcase breather has been rerouted to the air box, this could account for the drip, and could even be fairly normal. The engine, especially one with some time on it, will push some oil out of the breather under normal circumstances, and a few drips is nothing to worry about.

Overfilling will cause excessive oil exhaust at the crankcase vent, though, but in a dry sump like the YZF, this won't happen until the oil tank is physically filled with more oil than it will hold. When this happens, the crankcase cannot be scavenged as it should, and the engine may smoke and blow oil. In extreme cases, it may blow back raw oil into the intake, and that can end up in the air box. Other than fouling plugs and generally making a mess, it does no real harm.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted August 24, 2008 - 12:34 PM

is it motor oil or air filter oil leaking?

• DeeCee

Posted August 24, 2008 - 04:29 PM

If your crankcase breather is not routed to your airbox then chances are the oil is from your filter (especially if you recently re-oiled it).

If the crankcase breather is routed to the airbox then this is the most likely source of the oil.

Another possibility is (assuming the crankcase breather is routed to the airbox) the bike was on its side with the engine running (even for a short period) and some oil got pumped out the crankcase breather.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.