Dirt in Motor

1 reply to this topic
  • owardell

Posted August 23, 2008 - 04:10 PM

I have an 06 450 that the clamp which holds the carb to airbox came loose. I feel like an idiot for not checking more often. So please everybody check them out. The bike was running ok before I noticed. I haven't got the motor broke down yet but the carb is real dirty inside and I can see a small amount of debris near the valves. A new piston, rings, and possibly cylinder are a no brainer. What are your opinions on the top end, mainly the valves, guides, and seats. Do you think the head will have to be sent out for machining or just new parts. What am I looking for on the head itself that will tell me if it is hurt and needs repair. At the moment the valves are still within spec. The bike is over 2yrs old and an overhaul has been coming I wish it could have waited until winter. Thanks for any help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZF_MXracer71

Posted August 24, 2008 - 04:07 PM

well i just had the same thing happen to me. but i only put one ride on it and there was hardly any dust. i had greesed all the rear end and put it back together, rode prolly 30 min and noticed it was running crapy. so i took it back thinking the carb was dirty and needed cleaning and when i went to take it apart i noticed the clamp was loose. so i cleaned it all and inspected it then i put it back together and its all good now. hope everything works out for you.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.