JD needles

75 replies to this topic
  • Charles De Mar

Posted August 22, 2008 - 09:06 AM

Ok I have my flame suit on but here I go. JD needles are waste for the recreational weekend warrior rider. I bought some here on TT two years ago. I fought with these things the whole time. I read williams posts and have switched every jet and used both needles. I talked to my local mechanic friend multiple times and all the fussing I could never get it to run great. terrible surge, runs to rich ,runs to lean, studders bogs all of it. I recently put a YZ needle in it and it made a huge difference. no studder, no surge, no bog, starts first kick, deals with elevation change with a much flatter curve. Everything is better. I don't race, I don't want to change my jetting every week for different places. i know some guys have had success with those needles and maybe the jd needles just don't like my region and the altitude. I really wish I had never bought them. If you want them, get them. If you just want to get rid of your stock WR buy the YZ needle and buy trials tire to try out. I'm not looking for argument. I'm just looking to get guys to think twice about what the want to buy and how much they want to fuss with their carb. My local mechanic and shop owner won't even put them in and will hesitate when someone comes in with the jd kit and says there bike won't start or runs like crap. to each his own. good luck.:thumbsup: Ride and have fun that's what it's all about.

• Demo_Slug

Posted August 22, 2008 - 09:13 AM

Ok I have my flame suit on but here I go. JD needles are waste for the recreational weekend warrior rider. I bought some here on TT two years ago. I fought with these things the whole time. I read williams posts and have switched every jet and used both needles. I talked to my local mechanic friend multiple times and all the fussing I could never get it to run great. terrible surge, runs to rich ,runs to lean, studders bogs all of it. I recently put a YZ needle in it and it made a huge difference. no studder, no surge, no bog, starts first kick, deals with elevation change with a much flatter curve. Everything is better. I don't race, I don't want to change my jetting every week for different places. i know some guys have had success with those needles and maybe the jd needles just don't like my region and the altitude. I really wish I had never bought them. If you want them, get them. If you just want to get rid of your stock WR buy the YZ needle and buy trials tire to try out. I'm not looking for argument. I'm just looking to get guys to think twice about what the want to buy and how much they want to fuss with their carb. My local mechanic and shop owner won't even put them in and will hesitate when someone comes in with the jd kit and says there bike won't start or runs like crap. to each his own. good luck.:thumbsup: Ride and have fun that's what it's all about.

is your "yz" needle the same as the neadle that comes in the GYTR WR AIS removal kit?

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 22, 2008 - 09:15 AM

is your "yz" needle the same as the neadle that comes in the GYTR WR AIS removal kit?

Dopn't know I bough the stock YZ needle. I don't know what that kit comes with. I have an 06 wr and bought the 05 needle.

• Demo_Slug

Posted August 22, 2008 - 09:30 AM

Dopn't know I bough the stock YZ needle. I don't know what that kit comes with. I have an 06 wr and bought the 05 needle.

sounds like if you are riding montana the 05 YZ needle is the hot ticket. that is good info.

• Mtn-Track

Posted August 22, 2008 - 09:38 AM

Good question on the GYTR needle. The stock '08 WR450 parts listing shows a #5TJ-14916-NT-00. The stock YZ shows #5TA-14916-LR-00, plus the LN, L1, LS, LT, LU, PN, PP, P1, PR, PS, PT,and PU.:thumbsup:

So when someone says they put in a YZ needle, the questions is which one? I can't find any references to the P/N for the GYTR AIS Kit needle...:worthy:

• Fullbore4

Posted August 22, 2008 - 10:15 AM

Just use the standard needle which is denoted STD on most any parts list you'll see. The 06 YZ standard needle (PR) is almost the same needle as the 05 but effectively is 1/2 needle clip richer in each respectable clip position. It has the same taper as the 05 needle. There is a table in the back of the manual for YZ's that show the difference of each needle.....those manuals are downloadable from the site listed on the sticky in this forum.

• Mtn-Track

Posted August 22, 2008 - 10:37 AM

I'm starting to think the "NT" in the one and only WR needle part number means "Not Tunable".:lol:

Lots of options for the YZ though.............:worthy:

UPDATE: I just called my dealer about the needle that comes in the GYTR AIS Removal Kit. They had to call Yamaha. Yamaha does not have an individual P/N for the needle, AND THEY WILL NOT SAY WHAT IT'S FROM OR SIMILAR TO! If you bend one, you have to buy the complete AIS Removal Kit to get the "mystery needle".:lol: :doh: :D :p :thumbsup::busted: :blah:

• Johnny34

Posted August 22, 2008 - 11:39 AM

To be honest I wonder about my JD jet kit too. I recently changed from the blue needle to the red needle to adjust for the warmer weather. I swear they are the same needle. The taper looks identical between the blue and the red. Tomorrows ride will be the test to whether it's been leaned out enough or too much.

My mileage is terrible and I think the 170 main is partly to blame. If the red needle doesn't do the trick then i'll drop the main to a 168.

Sorry to upset the jetting guru's and Gods...:thumbsup:

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 22, 2008 - 12:25 PM

To be honest I wonder about my JD jet kit too. I recently changed from the blue needle to the red needle to adjust for the warmer weather. I swear they are the same needle. The taper looks identical between the blue and the red. Tomorrows ride will be the test to whether it's been leaned out enough or too much.

My mileage is terrible and I think the 170 main is partly to blame. If the red needle doesn't do the trick then i'll drop the main to a 168.

Sorry to upset the jetting guru's and Gods...:worthy:

I'm running a 158... I'm told that's too small but the bike is running great. 160 spuddered and popped awful. It came with a a 158 too :thumbsup: The bike got really hot two weeks ago in some tight ST and didn't boil over.

• Demo_Slug

Posted August 22, 2008 - 12:25 PM

what a bother... so who is going to sack up and make a FI retrofit????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtn-Track

Posted August 22, 2008 - 01:19 PM

what a bother... so who is going to sack up and make a FI retrofit????

Apparently Honda with the '09 CRF450, so the speculators say...........:thumbsup:

• Fullbore4

Posted August 22, 2008 - 04:52 PM

I had good luck with the JD red on my 06 wr450.

• KennyMc

Posted August 22, 2008 - 05:01 PM

It's amazing how different ones experiences can be with these bikes.:thumbsup: I went with the red needle on the 4th clip with a 168 main and 48 pilot. I have ridden anywhere from the CA desert at 2,000' to Kennedy Meadows at 9,800'. My 07 didn't pop, burp, spit, puke or any other type of hiccup the whole time.

The same thing can be said about the sub-frame chewing issue. I haven't a scratch on my sub-frame wheras others have the sh$t chewed out of theirs.:worthy:

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 22, 2008 - 06:29 PM

I had good luck with the JD red on my 06 wr450.

How about the blue? It sucks you have to buy both IMHO. The best i ran was red, YZ still beats it.

• Fullbore4

Posted August 22, 2008 - 09:50 PM

The blue was way too rich

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 23, 2008 - 04:01 PM

The blue was way too rich

Man you aren't kidding.

• Desracer

Posted August 24, 2008 - 08:25 AM

Gald your bikes working normal! Did you ever try the stock muffler vs the Q to see what difference it made in performance?

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 24, 2008 - 02:57 PM

Gald your bikes working normal! Did you ever try the stock muffler vs the Q to see what difference it made in performance?

No the Q4 is on till it's ruined.

• MXJunky

Posted August 24, 2008 - 03:02 PM

MXJunky used the JD blue on his '05 with great results.

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 24, 2008 - 03:26 PM

MXJunky used the JD blue on his '05 with great results.

No, it pukes water out the oil drain afterwards:cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.