Best GRAVEL tire...PERIOD

15 replies to this topic
  • rallyDRZ

Posted August 22, 2008 - 08:23 AM

Don't care how they do in mud, sand, dirt or tarmac.
Don't care how much they cost or how long they last, doing a RallyMoto event on forest service gravel roads (hard pack with gravel on top) and want the best tire period, but they do have to be DOT.
Fronts tried: Maxxis 6006 & MT-21
Rears tried: 6006, Dunlop 606, MT-21's
Been considering running a DOT trials tire, or something like a Kenda K760 (opposite ends of the spectrum).
Please reply with relevant GRAVEL tire experience, Pacific NW road experience would be great.
Light DS bike (DRZ), speeds up to about 90 on straights.
Consensus for dirty riding seems to be MT-18HD front (having a hard time locating now and either MT-21 rear or Trackmaster II).
Issue I have with the MT-21 F/R setup I am running now is front end washout and pretty lame rear traction.
The tire I am looking for very well may NOT exist (marbles on concrete floor) but...
Anyone gots any input??
Gracias.

• COAL RUN

Posted August 22, 2008 - 08:35 AM

The MT-18HD is no longer made(i did like that tire on the front). Take a look at the MT 16. Also may take a look here http://www.thumperta...splay.php?f=233
Lots of tire opions there:thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 22, 2008 - 08:49 AM

The MT18 HD no longer made? Noooooooo!

MT16 looks pretty good, wish the rear was DOT.

MT21 gets a pretty low rating from me for gravel.

Dave

• jcalis

Posted August 22, 2008 - 12:06 PM

The names changed on the Pirelli tires. I believe the MT 18 is now called the "XCMH". Some of the online retailers will include the old naming system so you can figure out what to buy.

• Crash_Bandicoot

Posted August 22, 2008 - 02:06 PM

try out a Kenda 777F Enduro front and a Trackmaster II rear.

+1 on the Kenda's

• chris142

Posted August 22, 2008 - 07:46 PM

I can tell you that 606 front tire is terrible on gravel. Don't get that one.

• frankiewhipit

Posted August 23, 2008 - 10:13 AM

the Kenda 760 is a great tire for these bikes for the road, but not even close in gravel

• Nielly

Posted August 23, 2008 - 01:48 PM

Had the Pirelli scorpion pro front and rear in Utah. Front was good but the rear felt real squirrely unless I aired it down a bunch, even then it wasn't great.

Oh, btw this was on a Husky te450

• cubfan1968

Posted August 23, 2008 - 02:57 PM

What about trials tires? From what I have been reading these are not the same trials tires I used as a teenager these are now a quality tire that performs off road.

Any feedback on this? I'm setting up my XR500 for dual sport and would like to change out the knobbies to something a little more dual purpose.

• grreatdog

Posted August 23, 2008 - 06:56 PM

My preference is deep, widely spaced knobs for riding gravel on hardpan forest service roads rather than DS or trials tires. My MT21's were way better than my M6006's and both were infinitely better than death wings. That tells me the more knob the merrier.

But Yanni is absolutely right about one thing - hauling butt on gravel is 90% technique and 10% equipment. Be bold, stay on the gas and steer with the throttle and you will rock on any tires. Tiptoe through a turn without hanging your @$$ out in a lurid powerslide and you will feel like you are riding on marbles.

• kchelius

Posted August 23, 2008 - 07:30 PM

My preference is deep, widely spaced knobs for riding gravel on hardpan forest service roads rather than DS or trials tires. My MT21's were way better than my M6006's and both were infinitely better than death wings. That tells me the more knob the merrier.

But Yanni is absolutely right about one thing - hauling butt on gravel is 90% technique and 10% equipment. Be bold, stay on the gas and steer with the throttle and you will rock on any tires. Tiptoe through a turn without hanging your @$$ out in a lurid powerslide and you will feel like you are riding on marbles.

I live in SE michigan, around here are lots of dirt roads. Ultra hard pack clay and 60/40 gravel on top(Ultra Slick), with pot holes mixed in and kicking huge clouds of dust behind you.

I favor the Pirelli SCORPION XCMH(or old MT18), front and rear.

The big thing with riding dirt roads fast and agressive, is tire ware. The knobs get rounded off real fast on the power side of the knob, within 100 miles you loose traction on a good tire.

Got to take the rear tire off and turn it around all the time to keep a good bit on the hard packed roads with fluf and rocks ontop.

• grreatdog

Posted August 24, 2008 - 06:47 AM

Interesting, I was just looking at Scorpions for my new to me LC4 this morning. I have always run MT21's as a generally decent DOT knobbie with a safe expressway commuting speed rating. I am planning to read a little more about that one.

• slip

Posted August 25, 2008 - 05:15 PM

I got an XR250L 2 weeks ago and it came with a brand new D756 on the rear. It is not a DOT tire, but I figured that I would wear it out before replacing with a DOT. This tire rocks, I ride this one trail that has rail road bed size rocks, the bike is rock steady. :worthy: It is pretty good on the pavement too for an off road tire, I am totally confident on the tarmac with it. It is a bit noisy on the pavement though. Let's see how it wears. But if you want a good gravel/dry hard clay/mud tire, try it out. Best tire that I have used off road. This the only tire I have had on a dual sport bike, that I can lean in on a corner of hard pack in total confidence. :thumbsup:

http://www.dunlopmot..._tire.asp?id=12

• jams229

Posted August 27, 2008 - 12:28 PM

The 756 is a great tire, period. However, it does not last long.
Today's trial tires are also great. They work great on almost all surfaces, including gravel roads. The only exceptions are mud and highways.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted August 27, 2008 - 07:22 PM

Nothing works well on gravel roads, it is always like riding on marbles. The pirelli scorp came on my 600 when I got it, it was new, put about 1000 miles on it until I just put a new mt21 on the front.

If a tire sucks ride it hard and wear it out quickly so you can get a new one, when you gt the new one and it sucks repeat, at least you get to do a lot of riding while wearing out tires. Get the picture.

• rallyDRZ

Posted August 28, 2008 - 07:18 AM

Nothing works well on gravel roads, it is always like riding on marbles. The pirelli scorp came on my 600 when I got it, it was new, put about 1000 miles on it until I just put a new mt21 on the front.

If a tire sucks ride it hard and wear it out quickly so you can get a new one, when you gt the new one and it sucks repeat, at least you get to do a lot of riding while wearing out tires. Get the picture.

Pretty much what I've been doin, I get about a month or so out of the last 606 and MT-21 rear, I get about twice that out of front.
Getting Scorpion Pro's next week and will report in about a month or so!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.