How much metal is acceptable in an oil filter?

26 replies to this topic
  • nickeenoo

Posted August 22, 2008 - 02:37 PM

Step up and buy the Scotts. The quality is well worth the difference.

Scotts it is; I'll have one in the mail for the next oil change. Maybe I can talk the Bike's Owner into letting me get a stabilizer while I'm at it. Also, do you think I have done much damage to the engine letting that many metal shavings get into it?

Nate

• desert-rat660

Posted August 22, 2008 - 03:45 PM

i have the complfow made by ready. it came with a cool billet cover. but scotts makes some quality stuff

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2008 - 06:23 PM

It comes with a Cool Billet Cover because when you use the OEM cover, the filter gets partially crushed because the element is too long. The Cool Billet Cover also lacks the tab extension that the OEM cover has in the center that prevents people from installing their filter backwards, and the OEM O-rings don't always fit them correctly, so they are prone to leak. And, the oil passageways in the Cool Billet Cover are smaller than it the OEM cover, too, but other than that, there's nothing wrong with them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted August 22, 2008 - 06:43 PM

It comes with a Cool Billet Cover because when you use the OEM cover, the filter gets partially crushed because the element is too long. The Cool Billet Cover also lacks the tab extension that the OEM cover has in the center that prevents people from installing their filter backwards, and the OEM O-rings don't always fit them correctly, so they are prone to leak. And, the oil passageways in the Cool Billet Cover are smaller than it the OEM cover, too, but other than that, there's nothing wrong with them.

Get the Scotts filter. What gray is trying to say in a lot more words is you get what you pay for... cheaper is not always better. Why do you think Fords cost more than Chevys? :thumbsup:

• desert-rat660

Posted August 22, 2008 - 07:09 PM

geez why so angry? works pretty good for me:applause:

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2008 - 07:52 PM

.. cheaper is not always better. Why do you think Fords cost more than Chevys? :thumbsup:

I thought it was the other way around.

geez why so angry? works pretty good for me:applause:

Not angry, and not at you. But when someone offers something "just as good" as something else for little more than half price, and with free bling to boot, you should smell a rat.

If I have the only product like, say, a reusable SS mesh filter, on the market, I can sell it for what ever people are willing to pay for them in numbers big enough to satisfy my sales goals. When I suddenly have a bunch of copycat competition undercutting my price, it's prudent to reduce my price to meet theirs. There are 3 reasons why I might not do that. One is that I'm an arrogant bastard who thinks my product is better, and you can just bloddy well pay for it. Another is that my product is made in the US, and my competition is having theirs done offshore by people working for 85 cents a day. The last reason is that I have standards, and I can't make the product as well as I do for any less.

Only reasons two and three apply to a Scotts. People opting for the lower cost alternatives are probably getting about the same value for each dollar spent as if they had bought a Scotts. If you're OK with a filter that's 60% as good as you could have, then that's your choice to make, as long as you're aware of it up front.

• Ga450owner

Posted August 23, 2008 - 04:22 AM

filter out the metal before using the Scotts - it is a pain to get that crap out of it

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.