How much metal is acceptable in an oil filter?

26 replies to this topic
  • nickeenoo

Posted August 21, 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hi All,

I just did an oil change and decided to cut the filter apart and stretch out the pleats to see how much metal was caught in the filter. I was surprized to see how much there was. How much metal is normal? I will try to post pics a little later. The bike is fairly new with only about 40 hrs on it.

Thanks,

Nate

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2008 - 08:06 PM

How much time does the filter have on it?

• nickeenoo

Posted August 21, 2008 - 08:45 PM

How much time does the filter have on it?

7-8 Hours. Normally I wouldn't go quite this long - usually 5-6 with Amsoil full synthetic (Thanks Gray). Also, I change the filter everythime I change the oil.

Here are the pics:

http://i440.photobuc...oo/IMG_0989.jpg
http://i440.photobuc...oo/IMG_0986.jpg

• desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 08:47 PM

u hard on the clutch?

• nickeenoo

Posted August 21, 2008 - 08:55 PM

u hard on the clutch?

Not typically, although this last ride was in some technical rocky sections and I did have to adjust the clutch a few time throughout the ride; I was fanning the clutch a lot.

I did have a hard sand ride on this batch of oil; don't know if that matters or not.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 08:58 PM

its probably from the clutch, is the clutch stock? i think the stock plates in the 450's are aluminum. i changed mine out to an ebc kit.

• nickeenoo

Posted August 21, 2008 - 09:01 PM

its probably from the clutch, is the clutch stock? i think the stock plates in the 450's are aluminum. i changed mine out to an ebc kit.

The clutch is stock. Still, is that a normal amount of metal? It looks to me that at this rate I'll be replacing my clutch about every three rides.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 09:09 PM

get an aftermarket clutch with steel plates, like the ebc kit i got

• desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 09:10 PM

what year is your bike

• nickeenoo

Posted August 21, 2008 - 09:12 PM

what year is your bike

It's an 07.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 09:24 PM

ive never had that much metal in my filter, but it all depends how u ride the bike. it seems excessive. is it aluminum shavings? steel?

• desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 09:32 PM

i believe stock plates are steel for the 07/

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2008 - 10:57 PM

To me, that looks excessive. I especially don't like the look of the curled chip in the pleat at the far left pleat, half way up. I suspect something dragging against a case somewhere.

• Ga450owner

Posted August 22, 2008 - 06:59 AM

The clutch is stock. Still, is that a normal amount of metal? It looks to me that at this rate I'll be replacing my clutch about every three rides.

No it is not normal for a 40hr bike
You are hammering the clutch......and it will need help very very soon unless you change the habit.....or the terrain you ride on

• nickeenoo

Posted August 22, 2008 - 07:27 AM

I just checked with and magnet and about 95% of the shavings were aluminum. In my excitement over the amount of metal shavings in the filter I forgot that I did just install a TimeSert in my oil drain hole. I thought I was quite careful to remove all the metal shavings from the install but maybe not. I will change the filter again and see if there is any more shavings. Until I change the filter again, I will assume there were some leftover shavings from the TimeSert install.

Next time I'll try to remember what I've done to the bike before I get my panties all twisted :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Nate

• bigred455

Posted August 22, 2008 - 11:50 AM

The driven plates are steel not aluminum,that does look like a little too many shavings.That drain hole for the oil filter ,with the bolt out there is a open end that leads right into the clutch side ,outside tranny side etc.Was the inner clutch case off when you did the time insert?I am guessing not.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 22, 2008 - 11:55 AM

u should look into a reusable filter, it will save u $$ in the long run. just a thought

• nickeenoo

Posted August 22, 2008 - 01:39 PM

The driven plates are steel not aluminum,that does look like a little too many shavings.That drain hole for the oil filter ,with the bolt out there is a open end that leads right into the clutch side ,outside tranny side etc.Was the inner clutch case off when you did the time insert?I am guessing not.

It was not. It probably should have been. I'll be interested to see what the next oil change looks like.

• nickeenoo

Posted August 22, 2008 - 01:40 PM

u should look into a reusable filter, it will save u $$ in the long run. just a thought

I've been thinking that for some time. Maybe the time is right.

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2008 - 02:07 PM

I've been thinking (a reusable filter) for some time. Maybe the time is right.

Step up and buy the Scotts. The quality is well worth the difference.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.