08 yz450, Windham bend fixed the turning

12 replies to this topic
  • dirty_jenny

Posted August 21, 2008 - 05:20 PM

I know others have discussed this, but I couldnt find the thread to add to it. But for me, I fixed any turning issues I had with my 08 yz450 by putting the Renthal twin wall Windham bend. I cannot believe how much better I can turn from something as simple as a bar swap. It took me most of the day to get used to standing up with them but the corners was the instant I hit the track. Not to crazy about the pillow top grips I tried, but I was digging them as the day wore on. Just for reference I am 5'9 and the bars are PERFECT. Get yourself some!

On another note, I tried a maxis IT tire, the intermediate compound, mixed feelings about that tire, hooks up great where it was dry, or tacky, but totally sucked anywhere it was slippery or too muddy. I think the Dunlop 952 is a better tire for tracks with transitioning conditions. I will probably go back to the 952 after I wear this tire down. Not sure if its the new set up with the bars or the new rear maxis but my front 952 tire kept wanting to push out today, its never given me any of those problems before.....need to find out whats causing it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2008 - 05:28 PM

Here's the thread:

http://www.thumperta...011#post6529011

Amazing the effect of something so simple, eh?

• ltrosson

Posted August 21, 2008 - 06:58 PM

are the stock 08 bars yz hi as noted on the pro taper chart. does less sweep help in cornering ? I had the windham bend on two other bikes, but was considering the suzuki bend, they have less sweep and are taller.

• Justin89

Posted August 21, 2008 - 07:13 PM

I put those same bars on my 06' and it seemd to help cure the turning issue...:thumbsup:

• twenty34

Posted August 21, 2008 - 07:19 PM

I put those same bars on my 06' and it seemd to help cure the turning issue...:thumbsup:

and to think, I run stock 06 YZ bars on my CRF!

• MotoXT

Posted August 21, 2008 - 07:36 PM

I know others have discussed this, but I couldnt find the thread to add to it. But for me, I fixed any turning issues I had with my 08 yz450 by putting the Renthal twin wall Windham bend. I cannot believe how much better I can turn from something as simple as a bar swap. It took me most of the day to get used to standing up with them but the corners was the instant I hit the track. Not to crazy about the pillow top grips I tried, but I was digging them as the day wore on. Just for reference I am 5'9 and the bars are PERFECT. Get yourself some!

On another note, I tried a maxis IT tire, the intermediate compound, mixed feelings about that tire, hooks up great where it was dry, or tacky, but totally sucked anywhere it was slippery or too muddy. I think the Dunlop 952 is a better tire for tracks with transitioning conditions. I will probably go back to the 952 after I wear this tire down. Not sure if its the new set up with the bars or the new rear maxis but my front 952 tire kept wanting to push out today, its never given me any of those problems before.....need to find out whats causing it.

I believe my '08 came with the YZ Hi bend, which has a sweep of 52mm. With Windhams at 54mm, so I don't think you are benefiting as Grey and others are describing - hands further forward. The Windhams are, however higher at 99mm vs. 84mm YZ Hi. Were your stock bars YZ Hi's?

Also, what turning problems were you having? I ended up having an e-axle custom modified (the wheel spacers so that the axle would work on the '08) and run it -1mm and it was an improvement over stock, but not a major one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2008 - 07:43 PM

are the stock 08 bars yz hi as noted on the pro taper chart.

does less sweep help in cornering ?

I had the windham bend on two other bikes, but was considering the suzuki bend, they have less sweep and are taller.

1) No. At least the '06 and '07 weren't. The '06 rose only about 75mm, and the '07 was only about 5-6mm taller.

2) That is totally an individual thing. It doesn't work for me.

3) The Windham bend is the RM middle high bend. PT doesn't list a higher Suzuki bend than that. The KX High and the Woods high have more rise. The Pasrana FMX is taller, but also narrower.

• dirty_jenny

Posted August 21, 2008 - 08:10 PM

I believe my '08 came with the YZ Hi bend, which has a sweep of 52mm. With Windhams at 54mm, so I don't think you are benefiting as Grey and others are describing - hands further forward. The Windhams are, however higher at 99mm vs. 84mm YZ Hi. Were your stock bars YZ Hi's?

Also, what turning problems were you having? I ended up having an e-axle custom modified (the wheel spacers so that the axle would work on the '08) and run it -1mm and it was an improvement over stock, but not a major one.

Wasnt having any turning problems per-se, it just turns sharper and responds to my input much more so then before. The stock set up turned well, it just seems I am turning faster, with less rider input, less energy being used, and it just does exactly what I want it to now. Except for the front tire pushing out on me today, that was starting to piss me off. Not sure if its the effect of the bar or if the new Maxis tire and dunlop 952 front is a bad combo.

• YZ450RDR

Posted August 21, 2008 - 08:47 PM

Does anybody know for sure what bars came on the 08'?

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2008 - 10:34 PM

They are a proprietary bend, not listed in retail catalogs.

• honda597

Posted August 22, 2008 - 12:25 AM

I swaped from the "REED" bend pro tapers to the "Carmichael" bend and was rewarded with less arm pump and more comfort. Best mod i have done in years.

• btray

Posted August 22, 2008 - 05:47 AM

has anybody tried the Windam bend thing on a 04 or is this just an 06 and up workable mod?

thanks

• Ga450owner

Posted August 22, 2008 - 06:46 AM

has anybody tried the Windam bend thing on a 04 or is this just an 06 and up workable mod?

thanks

I use it on both my 03 and 06 - works great

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.