Does anyone have a Cam Chain Replacement Procedure ?

7 replies to this topic
  • locorider

Posted August 21, 2008 - 08:13 AM

The manual I have doesn't list a chain replacement. It shows replaceming the cams etc but never the chain specifically.

I figure the procedure is as follows.

1. Remove the tank, etc.
2. Remove the Valve Cover.
3. Remove the Flywheel cover.
4. Remove the Cam Chain Tensioner.
5. Remove the Flywheel with a puller.

Now this is where I am not sure, will I have to remove the cams, or at least one cam to get the chain off ?

Does the old chain then drop to the bottom or can you pull it out the top ?

Does the new chain go in from the top ?

Then reverse the order to put it all back together, using the specified torque specs.

If anybody has a detailed procedure that will be great.

Thanks

• jayh300

Posted August 21, 2008 - 08:19 AM

this was what i used when i did mine. you are pretty much right on. atleast one cam has to come out. I think I had to drop the chain out the bottom then insert back from there, but i don't really remember. it hard getting old. btw what year are you working on ?
http://www.thumperta...405#post3150405

• matt4x4

Posted August 21, 2008 - 10:34 AM

1. Remove the tank, etc.
2. Remove the Valve Cover.
3. Remove the Flywheel cover.
4. Remove the Cam Chain Tensioner.
5. Remove the Flywheel with a puller.

[COLOR="Red"]Remove chain guides[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Mark the chain and gears (bottom AND top) with a grease pencil for ease of alignment of new chain.[/COLOR]

Now this is where I am not sure, will I have to remove the cams, or at least one cam to get the chain off ?

[COLOR="Red"]Take off both cams by pointing the sprockets down and inward and then lift out.[/COLOR]

Does the old chain then drop to the bottom or can you pull it out the top ?

[COLOR="Red"]I believe either works - put a wire on it so you can pull it out again[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Transfer the grease pencil marks over to new chain by counting links between marks.[/COLOR]

Does the new chain go in from the top ?

[COLOR="Red"]don't remeber - I think either works[/COLOR]

Then reverse the order to put it all back together, using the specified torque specs.

[COLOR="Red"]Stay just a little under the specified torque for the cam shafts. too much and they will be noisy.[/COLOR]

If anybody has a detailed procedure that will be great.

Thanks

• locorider

Posted August 21, 2008 - 10:46 AM

Thanks, that's just what I need.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ace402

Posted August 22, 2008 - 09:12 AM

[COLOR="Red"]Mark the chain and gears (bottom AND top) with a grease pencil for ease of alignment of new chain.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Transfer the grease pencil marks over to new chain by counting links between marks.[/COLOR]

Sorry for the ignorant question but why do you need to mark the gears? To keep the timing accurate? Also, are you talking about marking the camshaft gears or the crank sprocket or both?

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2008 - 09:55 AM

Sorry for the ignorant question but why do you need to mark the gears? To keep the timing accurate? Also, are you talking about marking the camshaft gears or the crank sprocket or both?

You don't need to mark them. It can be useful when removing the cams to adjust valves, for example, as long as the chain does not move on the crank, but otherwise there's not much point in it at all. In the time it takes to transfer the marks to the new chain, one could simply set up the new one. Some find it easier and helpful, but I don't see the need.

• spunalot

Posted January 31, 2009 - 08:55 AM

OK, not so simple as stated. It looks like the head has to be removed to remove to fount cam chain guide. Is this so? I cannot get my chain by it at the bottom gear. Never mind. Nothing a good cutting/grinding tool could not handle.

• grayracer513

Posted January 31, 2009 - 04:07 PM

The front chain guide does not interfere with the removal of the cam chain in any way whatsoever. Rotate the cam chain on a vertical axis, clockwise looking from the top of the engine, so that the rear run of chain swings out away from the engine and around the end of the crank. Then the chain can be lifted straight out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.