New barrel ... PREPARATION?

5 replies to this topic
  • walshy

Posted August 20, 2008 - 06:51 PM

Well I've read it here before, but can't find it now!!!! :worthy:
What do you use to clean a new cylinder before bolting the top end back together???:thumbsup:
EDIT.... Its an OEM WR barrel!!!!

• desert-rat660

Posted August 20, 2008 - 08:24 PM

hot soapy water, but then lubricate it soon after

• DRZ04

Posted August 20, 2008 - 08:24 PM

I would wash it down with either contact cleaner and or brake cleaner. Blow it off/out with compressed air before I after. Look it over close before assembly. If you wipe it down be sure to use a lint free rag. I put a light coat of oil, the type I will run, on the cylinder prior to assembly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted August 21, 2008 - 10:42 AM

I do the soap and water and through drying, but assemble the barrel dry. No oil except on the wrist pin.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2008 - 11:37 AM

It will be debated endlessly, I suppose, but I never have done, and have no intention of ever doing a "dry build".

The supposed advantage is the faster and more complete seating of the rings. However, any oil that exists in and around the compression rings will be gone in a few seconds after startup, and any oil that is not placed on the oil rings will show up more or less immediately, anyway.

Not pre-oiling a piston skirt, IMO, invites an unacceptable level of risk of damage to the skirt and/or cylinder on initial startup. At the same time, I have not had any issues with ring seating, sealing, oil consumption, or any of the other related ills supposedly caused by wet building cylinder assemblies, so I see no advantage in taking any such risk, especially when I'm buying the parts.

It is certainly unnecessary to dunk the piston assembly in a bucket of oil prior to assembly, but at the same time, I refuse to be convinced that a few drops of oil on the rings and a smear of it on the piston skirt will have any detrimental effect on the seating and sealing, short term or long, of good rings in a properly prepped bore.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 21, 2008 - 12:59 PM

im with Gray, i lubed the piston skirt and cylinder before assembly. i had no problems with the rings seating, my bike doesnt use any oil or have blowby:thumbsup:

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.