07 WR450 fork base valve spring preload

5 replies to this topic
  • zorroz

Posted August 19, 2008 - 10:37 PM

Anyone managed to work out how much preload is required? I am pulling my forks apart shortly and wanted to see what thickness shim I would need to preload the spring. Even with .48 fork springs, the forks still ride low and from what I have been reading, the base valve spring has lost its tension and needs a shim under it. Just how much is the million dollar question! Thanks

• Kirkster

Posted August 20, 2008 - 05:04 AM

My suspension guy basically said the WR shim stack and spring were antiquated and replaced them with a YZ type valve.

• WR450FGreg

Posted August 22, 2008 - 04:01 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here..... (it seems I often am!)

Isn't that little base valve spring purely compression damping related? (Assuming that's the one you mean.)
ie. by my understanding it has no effect on static sag at all.

The springs lose tension and this has the effect of causing the forks to lose compression damping action to varying degrees.

Only the main fork spring (the big long one) has effect on sag as far as I know, so I'd be looking at finding a spacer for the top of your forks if your static sag is too much.

Mind you, this will stiffen the whole fork action up at the same time so you might need to fiddle with damping adjustments to get the same sort fo feel back afterwards.

My two cents worth anyway.

(Fire away guys, I've got my bullet proof vest on!!)

Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted August 22, 2008 - 04:42 PM

I had my suspension done by RG3 and they removed the spring. ENZO recommended doing the same thing.

• zorroz

Posted August 22, 2008 - 04:48 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here..... (it seems I often am!)

Isn't that little base valve spring purely compression damping related? (Assuming that's the one you mean.)
ie. by my understanding it has no effect on static sag at all.

The springs lose tension and this has the effect of causing the forks to lose compression damping action to varying degrees.

Only the main fork spring (the big long one) has effect on sag as far as I know, so I'd be looking at finding a spacer for the top of your forks if your static sag is too much.

Mind you, this will stiffen the whole fork action up at the same time so you might need to fiddle with damping adjustments to get the same sort fo feel back afterwards.

My two cents worth anyway.

(Fire away guys, I've got my bullet proof vest on!!)

Greg

Greg, from what I have read it does affect the compression dampening. So your right but it has an effect on the front forks. It was discussed in ADB magazine here's the link:

http://www.adbmag.co...?ContentID=2880

• freerider_australia

Posted August 23, 2008 - 10:48 PM

The base valve spring effects high speed and bottoming resistance it just a preassure realf valve it is a very stiff spring start with 1mm spacer may b 2mm i got some ohlins witch has basicly the same set up but softer base valve spring i put 2.3mm in but i going to put more the stock wr should not need to much

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.