Leaky '00 426

3 replies to this topic
  • bhuss69

Posted August 19, 2008 - 05:29 PM

I recently had to replace the oil seals, bearing, and rod for my coolant impellar due to a previous accident. The weep hole that is located just beneath the impellar housing is dripping oil when the engine is running. I know that the weep hole is there so that water does not infiltrate into the oil in the case, but in this case it is dripping oil, dirty oil at that. If anybody knows an answer to this problem or what may be causing the dripping i would greatly appreciate it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2008 - 05:32 PM

You may have installed the oil seal upside down, or simply damaged it. The sealing lip of the seal should face out of its pocket toward the fluid it is sealing against in both cases.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted August 20, 2008 - 04:18 AM

The weep hole can drip EITHER oil OR Coolant since it sits between the two seals - depending on what it's leaking indicates which seal is bad.

As grey said - you may simply have installed the oil seal backwards.

• bhuss69

Posted August 23, 2008 - 12:39 PM

yea i may be leaning toward the damaged part...it was a little bit of a pain to get the bearing to go in straight so i had to use a socket to get the seal and bearing out, in the process i most likely damaged it. kind of a dumb mistake i guess that seal is fairly deep down in there to get to.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

• Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.