2007 YZ450 Frame crack

70 replies to this topic
  • bnyfe

Posted February 27, 2009 - 08:50 PM

That's a poor bead on that weld joint!!! Try a different dealer?

100 percent correct a problem with the cw.

• AZcrRider

Posted March 17, 2009 - 05:44 PM

Well, here is the update. I could have tried a different dealer ( Oh, another 130 miles away), but the effort is not worth the contingency of rewards.

NOT impressed with Yamaha customer service. Why should I go through the back door. I gave them the VIN and they denied any issues.

Anyhow, here is the pic after the weld:
Posted Image

Good TIG welder here in TUcson. Will ride for a bit to see if it holds up, then there should be a bargain 450F for sale. To any other people this happens to, it looks very weldbable if you catch it early enough and get it to a good welder.

In the meantime, I got a 2 stroke....No low end, no valves, and no frame cracks!

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 18, 2009 - 04:44 AM

That weld is okay, not the best, but it should hold up. Just make sure to keep an eye on that area. ESPECIALLY above the new weld, the old is still exposed, and may stress the area and hairline crack again. If this happens, get a hold of me and I can help you out. Best of luck.

• AZcrRider

Posted March 18, 2009 - 05:55 AM

That weld is okay, not the best, but it should hold up. Just make sure to keep an eye on that area. ESPECIALLY above the new weld, the old is still exposed, and may stress the area and hairline crack again. If this happens, get a hold of me and I can help you out. Best of luck.

• thatkid46

Posted March 18, 2009 - 06:34 PM

Yeah well your dealer is full of it. Go to a different dealer. One with customer service that counts. One that has pull with Yami or knows how to get around the year of the bike being an issue. A creative dealer will help you out trust me. Try another dealer.

Working at a dealership you figure out pretty quick how to get stuff warrantied that shouldnt be. for good customers we'll do all kinds of things but most of the time its all about how the request is worded. from my experiences yamaha actually has one of the best customer service departments.

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2009 - 07:00 PM

It also depends on the dealer's contact at Yamaha, and his relationship with that person, and the overall standing the business has with Yamaha.

But either way, Yamaha fulfilled their contractual obligation on that bike 30 days after the sale happened. You can argue any number of reasonable sounding things, but it's on paper the way it is, you agreed to it when you bought it, and anything beyond that is at their discretion.

• husqy360

Posted March 18, 2009 - 11:26 PM

still dosnt make them look good, right or wrong.
epecialy when its a weld crack.

did you heat treat the frame after?

• grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2009 - 06:23 AM

Stuff breaks. Stuff that never breaks is over-engineered/over-built and interferes with performance. Would you be happier if it cracked in the middle of the casting somewhere? I'd be more concerned about it if that were the case.

• AZcrRider

Posted March 19, 2009 - 08:40 PM

did you heat treat the frame after?

Yes, A1-fab used the correct rods , heated , and of course ground out the entire crack.

All I can do is watch it real close and keep my fingers crossed.

• bnyfe

Posted March 20, 2009 - 10:31 AM

To me the contractual agreement regarding the warranty pertains to issues that happen to the bike regardless of usage during the first 30 days of ownership. During that time frame anything that breaks for any reason is covered.

After that, there is still an obligation to the consumer, especially for safety. When a significant flaw in manufacturing exists (like the frame weld), a conscientious company will accept responsibility and take active steps to address and correct the issue.

If my YZ450F cracks at the cold weld on the frame and Yamaha doesn't fix it, I will never buy another one. Additionally, I would make sure every body I know and come in contact with would understand why they should not buy one.

I stand with the consumer on this cold weld issue. It was a manufacturing defect and should be remedied without the aggravation that Jpeezler has endured. Plain and simple.

We should stick together as consumers and not make warranty excuses when something clearly is not our fault. "SORRY< YOU"RE OUTSIDE YOUR WARRANTY SHOULD NOT BE ACCEPTABLE TO US IN CASES LIKE THIS _ _ _NUF SAID>

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2009 - 12:02 PM

To me the contractual agreement regarding the warranty pertains to issues that happen to the bike regardless of usage during the first 30 days of ownership. During that time frame anything that breaks for any reason is covered.

After that, there is still an obligation to the consumer, especially for safety. When a significant flaw in manufacturing exists (like the frame weld), a conscientious company will accept responsibility and take active steps to address and correct the issue.

No, not according to the contract you made with the manufacturer when you bought it. You may think it should be that way, but a contract is a written agreement, agreed to by all involved parties, and if you look at the one that you signed onto when you bought the bike, you will see phrases that say, to an effect, that the bike shall be free of defects only in the specific areas of workmanship and material, and for a specific period of time, generally 30 days. Once beyond that time period, the warranty ceases to exist.

You will also find within the contract disclaimers that specifically state that no other warranty is expressed or implied by either the dealer or the manufacturer, including any warranty that the bike is or ever was suitable for any particular purpose, including your interpretation of what amounts to reasonable use as an MX bike, or 90 foot doubles. So, there have been cases where an owner had a claim made within the warranty period denied because the bike was subjected to an unreasonable level of abuse that inflicted damage on it not related to actual defects in manufacture, the denial of claim contested, and the manufacturer's position upheld in court.

Legally, that contract is bulletproof.

So it goes back to what was said earlier. Yamaha, or whomever, has to be given a reason to want to help you with this, they do not owe it to you. And anybody who acts a little pushy or obnoxious anywhere up the chain of command will derail that.

• jjj109

Posted March 20, 2009 - 02:06 PM

When I had my 2001 YZ426F TPS sensor went bad a year and a half after I bought it my dealership replaced it. I know we are comparing apples and oranges ( frame vs tps sensor ). The sensor at the time I think listed for like $140 or something. The dealership ordered it up and installed it free. It all comes back to your dealer relationship. A good dealership will take care of you especially if you are a returning customer. Like grayracer is saying yamaha doesnt have an obligation to fix it cause it is a contract. If the dealership has a very good relationship with there yami REP then they fix things out of contract all the time because thats $$$ down the road when you come back to them to but another unit. But your dealership sounds like they suck. Also keep this in mind , we are in a recession right now. All big companys are watching every penny they spend. Your frame cracking couldnt have happen at a worse time. Sorry but that is the reality of it. Just be happy you dont own a honda cause they send warranty reps all the time to check for misuse and are very tough with warranty stuff.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2009 - 02:16 PM

I know dealers like that, and I worked for a couple of them at different times. In fact, I've initiated out of warranty repairs myself several times. Odds are that was a unilateral decision by the dealer to assume the liability for it, even though he actually had none, and give you the part at his expense to build good will. He's taking a risk that Yamaha will not reimburse him for it, but he's willing to take that chance to build the strength of his customer base. Not everyone will do this, and Yamaha won't put up with some dealers doing this. It depends on a lot of variables. If I were you, I'd remind him that you appreciate him.

• jjj109

Posted March 20, 2009 - 02:38 PM

I know dealers like that, and I worked for a couple of them at different times. In fact, I've initiated out of warranty repairs myself several times. Odds are that was a unilateral decision by the dealer to assume the liability for it, even though he actually had none, and give you the part at his expense to build good will. He's taking a risk that Yamaha will not reimburse him for it, but he's willing to take that chance to build the strength of his customer base. Not everyone will do this, and Yamaha won't put up with some dealers doing this. It depends on a lot of variables. If I were you, I'd remind him that you appreciate him.

oh they know i appreciate them. I havent bought a new bike in a long time so things have probably changed since then also.

• jjj109

Posted March 20, 2009 - 03:43 PM

They appreciate me also, 2001 yz426, 2002 ttr90, 2003 yz450, 2004 yz450, 2003 wr450, 1998 exciter 270hp jet boat ( one of the most funest and dangerous toys ) and a 1999 gp1200 riva limited edition number 14 of 50 ever built by riva yamaha. I know thats a lot of yamaha's over the years but I grew up on Honda's till i was 20 yrs old then I started liking yamaha. So Im not just a yamaha nut.

• LEMMON1

Posted March 20, 2009 - 04:59 PM

this whole thing is shitty...i think i would rather worry bout my valves (honda) then my frame snappin on me....never heard of a alum kawi honda or suz frame having problems

• jays22b

Posted March 20, 2009 - 05:31 PM

Stuff yamaha . im a welder meself and can see this is a build fault. They want get another sale out off me if they play like this *** em:foul:

• jjj109

Posted March 21, 2009 - 09:14 AM

this whole thing is shitty...i think i would rather worry bout my valves (honda) then my frame snappin on me....never heard of a alum kawi honda or suz frame having problems

Yeah your right. Buy a 2009 honda , bad clutch ( hinson fix $1350 ) , fuel injector leaking into cylinder after shut down cause fuel in the oil, bad decomp pin on cam. Man thats sounds like a great deal to me. You go out and just spent anywhere from $6500 to $7800 out the door for the bike. Then you have to go out drop atleast another $1350 for a good clutch and still deal with more possible problems with the bike. Yeah your right Ill buy a honda. stupid me for buying a proven bikes

• Demo_Slug

Posted March 21, 2009 - 10:57 AM

warrenty is over for sure. but yamaha is still accountable for a defect that results in injury or death. normally a company would address structural issue to frames or forks(anything related to steering or brakes) to limit their liabillity. if my frame had cracks on the head tube, and yamaha wouldn't fix my frame, I'd try to report the cracked frame to the CPSC.

this is just an example: its a honda with defective handle bar bolts.
http://www.cpsc.gov/...1/01038org.html

No, not according to the contract you made with the manufacturer when you bought it. .

• rickallen124

Posted March 21, 2009 - 08:14 PM

A few years ago when I was at my Yamaha/Honda dealer they told me that a customer had a hairline crack all the way down the twin-spar frame. Customer though he had gotten a string of grease on it when he was doing maintainence only to find that the frame had cracked. You aren't going to have a 100% perfection regardless of brand, but Yamaha certainly is better than most.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.