is it really needed or necessary

5 replies to this topic
  • minty0_10

Posted August 19, 2008 - 12:16 PM

today while servicing my wr 450 i thought i,d check the wire gauze that fit into the fram just below the frame drain plug.

well it was a pig to get out i guess i did it the hard way i,l know better next time :thumbsup:

that's if i need to because i ended up braking it.
do the question is do i really need it in place?
i change the oil and filter every to rides so the oils always clean

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 19, 2008 - 12:29 PM

On my steel framed bikes I only removed and cleaned that strainer the first two oil changes on a new bike, after that I left it alone because yes, they break:foul:

It designed obviously to catch big stuff, I typically would find blue paint chips :thumbsup: but noting after the second time I removed it...

• dazzabb

Posted August 20, 2008 - 03:34 AM

I've never removed it and I don't worry about it.

Must have done 10+ oil / filter changes and it still remains in the same position as when I bought the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted August 20, 2008 - 04:07 AM

removed mine once - was perfectly clean - pretty much forgot it existed now.

• farkawi

Posted August 20, 2008 - 04:15 AM

They put the same setup on the old tt500s. I still have several of them and only look at them when doing a buildup or removing an engine from the chassis. I looked at the one on my 05 wr 450 at the second oil change and found no big chunks. That filter will now stay in place until I need to do an out-of-frame engine overhaul.

Just for the record, the WR450 is everything the old TT/XT 500s should have been. It's still a bit porky for all day trail weightlifting but the power is bountiful and the bike is dependable. The E-start is an older rider's ticket to nirvana.

• face_plant

Posted August 21, 2008 - 07:10 AM

first 2 oil changes also
found i wasted my time

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.