pit bike carb screw adjustments

12 replies to this topic
  • aidan1990

Posted August 19, 2008 - 10:52 AM

hello.
I had a problem with my bike fouling spark plugs, its running to rich and i know its to do with the carb settings. the mixture screw probably needs adjusting.... what i wanted to know is a base line to work with on both the idle and mixture screw.

the carb is a mikuni and the only way to adjust the mixture screw is to take the whole carb off since the screw in on the under side of the carb. (i cant fit a screwdriver between the carb and engine)
i wanted to save time and ask for an average setting please. so i don’t have to keep taking the carb off and probably end up rounding the bolts.

thanks for reading, all help appreciated

• Holtztwins

Posted August 19, 2008 - 04:16 PM

First get one of theses from Staggs.https://s.p6.hosting...65790224a2a3b65
makes tuning a whole lot easier. I start with the screw between 1.5 and 2 turns out but thats what has worked for me. Search for a tuning/jetting thread by Precision50. Its a great resource, I used it and my bike runs awesome. Good luck

• Gimpdiggity

Posted August 19, 2008 - 04:23 PM

1.5 to 2 turns out, like holtz said, is the baseline for starting with your mixture screw.

• aidan1990

Posted August 20, 2008 - 02:37 AM

cheers guys, i will give it ago abit later on.
about the carb adjuster on staggs, does it replace the screw thats already in the carb?

• Holtztwins

Posted August 20, 2008 - 03:21 AM

Yes, just take the old screw out and screw the new one in. After I got the screw from Staggs it was like night and day tuning the bike, will worth it

• dieselndixie

Posted August 25, 2008 - 11:23 AM

I NEED THIS SCREW!!!

and they are backordered....anywhere else have the same thing as staggs? will a regular both work? I could atleast get a wrench around a bolt head

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Precision50

Posted August 25, 2008 - 03:12 PM

I NEED THIS SCREW!!!

and they are backordered....anywhere else have the same thing as staggs? will a regular both work? I could atleast get a wrench around a bolt head

the air/fuel screw in a tapered (Precision) jet ...a bolt aint going to do it

• chirorider

Posted August 25, 2008 - 03:45 PM

I have that carb on a bike and yes it's a pain, but you can undo the inner bolt on the manifold and loosen the other and pivot the carb out and adjust and try again. It is a fuel screw, so turning it in leans the mix and turning it out richens it.

Definitely the screw from staggs is a plus, but until he has more in, you can still get the bike right.

If you go less than 1.5 turns from bottomed out and it's still too rich, you need a leaner pilot jet.

• Xr Evo

Posted August 28, 2008 - 12:28 AM

Here's a valuable link to compliment Precision50's excellent carb tuning info (bookmark and save it for your future reference):thumbsup: :

http://hondanighthawks.net/carb14.htm

• dirtbkr188

Posted August 28, 2008 - 05:13 AM

Click on the pic below for more information...

Posted Image

...you can order this right from the ThumperTalk Store above, in the [COLOR="Navy"]Parts[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Unlimited[/COLOR] Catalogue

• dieselndixie

Posted August 28, 2008 - 09:22 AM

wow...any use this thing? looks cool...work well?

• Precision50

Posted August 28, 2008 - 09:55 AM

Click on the pic below for more information...

Posted Image

...you can order this right from the ThumperTalk Store above, in the [COLOR="Navy"]Parts[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Unlimited[/COLOR] Catalogue

I do not believe it will fit under to work on our Pit Bikes....as I have one that looks just like it I use to tune Preformance Six pack Carbs on this Bad Boy

Posted Image

it may work if the bend is under 1 inch

• dieselndixie

Posted August 29, 2008 - 06:30 AM

well, I just need to check with Staggs and see if they are in yet

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.