Back to a thumper, got a new whip yesterday !!

3 replies to this topic
  • Matt_W

Posted August 19, 2008 - 07:05 AM

I've had three thumpers prior to this one; 2000 YZ 426 (great bike but weighed a ton), 2003 CRF450R (ate valves, even the SS ones) and an 04 KTM 450 MXC (reliable, but no fun factor). I still have my 05 YZ 250 and plan to keep it. In fact, I rebuilt the top end this past weekend.

But, I couldn't pass up this deal. 2008 YZ450 the dealership knocked down to $5,400. They wanted $6,300 after all the tax, title, tags, shipping, dealer prep, etc. I told them the shipping and dealer prep charges are B.S. They eliminated the shipping and cut the prep cost in half. I walked out of the dealership with it for $5,995.

I didn't want white because I primarily ride in the woods, but it was the only one they had. White stays nice for about .25 seconds in off-road conditions. For the price, I can afford to replace the fenders and shrouds with blue when they get trashed.

Anything in particular I need to pay attention to on this model? Any tips, suggestions, etc?

Posted Image

• WB450

Posted August 19, 2008 - 07:23 AM

Nice, I'm sure you'll like it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RJB

Posted August 19, 2008 - 03:28 PM

Anything in particular I need to pay attention to on this model? Any tips, suggestions, etc?

Posted Image

Think there are a bunch of tips in the sticky in the section. Everyone recommends dumping the stock chain ASAP and replacing with a decent o-ring one. Right now, prefer my 08 YZ over my WR, but still have a soft spot for my 02 426. Fired her up the other day when I was back in TX. Started up second kick after being sat for almost 2 years :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2008 - 03:49 PM

Discard the chain immediately and replace it with something that won't need adjustment every time you ride it and eat your sprockets in two months.

Open up the steering head and swing arm/linkage and replace the rather sparingly applied grease you find there with a good, waterproof, moly bearing EP2 grease if you plan to ride in any wet conditions at all. Avoid water pressure directed at the upper steering head bearing while washing.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.