Coolant or Not??

11 replies to this topic
  • spy

Posted June 10, 2002 - 06:42 AM

I only have water down my radiators. Will it cause it to rust or should i play safe and mix with coolant?

p.s.i forgot to say we have summer all year round over here, always in the 90's or 100's
cheers.

[ June 16, 2002: Message edited by: spy ]

• Hick

Posted June 10, 2002 - 06:50 AM

Originally posted by spy:
I only have water down my radiators. Will it cause it to rust or should i play safe and mix with coolant?

Only use distilled water. In addition to that you should probably have something that serves as a lubricant for your water pump and seals. I wouldn't run 100% water for that reason.

• superdave78621

Posted June 10, 2002 - 02:36 PM

definitely run a mixture in teh range of 30/70 to 50/50 coolant/water. There are anti-corrosion additives in coolants that protect the metals in your engine/cooling system, besides lowering the freeze point. And definitely use distilled water. Most tap water is full of clacium and other crap that plugs teh passages of you cooling system. Distilled water is cheap and on teh shelf of teh grocery store.
Best coolant to use Dex-cool type. Only Shell, Texaco and Prestomne have Dex-cool approval. My brand is Shell Dex-cool.

• CrazyRonny

Posted June 10, 2002 - 03:57 PM

Yes you can use water (distilled water) and you should add an additive to it to help lubricate and prevent corrosion, I don't remember the brand and name off the additive, but at some road racing track the only coolant allow is water, because if it spill on the track it will dry fast and nobody will slip on it...

Maybe you could ask road racing guy for more info... :)

• Lay-n-Trench

Posted June 10, 2002 - 06:22 PM

Make sure the coolant you use is for aluminum too.

• TexasThumper

Posted June 13, 2002 - 09:17 PM

Hey SuperDave, what exactly is "teh" ????? you been drinking some of that Shell coolant????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrsm

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:51 PM

I get my distilled water for free from my garage dehumidifier.

The dehumidifier is really effective - keeps the bike and tools dry.

My wife also uses it in her laundry steam iron.

• Tony_Miller

Posted June 14, 2002 - 10:46 AM

Coolant not only lowers the freezing point, but it also raises the boiling point. I would not use water only if your bike is boiling over.

• BFLee

Posted June 14, 2002 - 11:35 AM

Originally posted by CrazyRonny:
Yes you can use water (distilled water) and you should add an additive to it to help lubricate and prevent corrosion, I don't remember the brand and name off the additive, but at some road racing track the only coolant allow is water, because if it spill on the track it will dry fast and nobody will slip on it...

Maybe you could ask road racing guy for more info... :)

Redline Water Wetter?

• Hick

Posted June 14, 2002 - 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Tony Miller:
Coolant not only lowers the freezing point, but it also raises the boiling point. I would not use water only if your bike is boiling over.

But water transfers heat better than antifreeze, meaning that more __-glycol means higher overall coolant temps.

• Tony_Miller

Posted June 14, 2002 - 01:09 PM

You probably have two intersecting curves. The rate at which the coolant temp goes up with added coolant, and the rate at which the boiling point goes up with added coolant. Go up or down from the intersection point, and you will have a little less effective cooling, or a bike more likely to boil over. Don't really know what that ideal point is, but in Southern Michigan we don't dare run less than 70/30 water/antifreeze, unless you want to drain your bike all the time. Personally, I use Engine Ice, and have no problems. I believe Water Wetter doesn't protect against freezing.

If I had a bike that was boiling over with straight water, I'd maybe add a little coolant, and see if the problem goes away or gets worse. It's just always been drilled in my head that coolant is as important for boil over protection as freeze prevention.

http://www.peakantif...ech/tech_c.html

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: Tony Miller ]

• Tom_Rowlee

Posted June 16, 2002 - 04:44 PM

I use Silkoline pro cool with waterweter the silkoline is pre mixed and the waterweter is used by a lot of raicers , it's made by red line . they keep my wr400 cool in the mid west .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.