how do i fit a YZ fender on my 2007 WR450??

12 replies to this topic
  • nickt916

Posted August 17, 2008 - 08:00 PM

i keep getting mixed replies and different answers from dealers, but yet people say its been done, if anyone here has a 07-08 WR with a YZ fender please let me know what year or if you had to do some tweaking to match the bolt holes

here are pictures ....

YZ450 vs WR450

i didnt have a meassuring tape handy, but you can see how much wider the WR fender bolt holes are. 1" difference.

Posted Image
Posted Image

here you can see the subframe mounting holes are wider on the WR, and narrower on the YZ, the width of an actualy fender is about the same, but the mounting areas are 1" wider, and a fender from a YZ cant flare out that much without looking retarted.

Posted Image
Posted Image

here the bottom bolts are also somewhat different, width is the same, but one is sticking out further than the other.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Standman

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:30 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=681005

• nickt916

Posted August 18, 2008 - 01:48 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=681005

thanks for giving my my own thread, it didnt help me at all

• Dube2

Posted August 18, 2008 - 02:00 PM

Get the acerbis fender. That I know of, you wont need use a dremil dril to cut out the perferated holes. The ZY fender and the WR fender have the same mounting points. It's just the wr has a few areas that need to be opened for the extra wiring and barf tank hoses. It's realy no big deal. If you buy the OEM fender from Yamaha, you'll need to break out the dremil dril.:)

• nickt916

Posted August 18, 2008 - 02:04 PM

Get the acerbis fender. That I know of, you wont need use a dremil dril to cut out the perferated holes. The ZY fender and the WR fender have the same mounting points. It's just the wr has a few areas that need to be opened for the extra wiring and barf tank hoses. It's realy no big deal. If you buy the OEM fender from Yamaha, you'll need to break out the dremil dril.:)

my computer is moved, my reservoir is gone, and taillight is gone, so YZ fender is perfect BUT its the subframe holes that dont bolt up, the subframe side bolts on a WR07 are about 1"+ wider than they are on the YZ i dont know why this is, but the the YZ fender i had was off a 06-08 YZ and i would need to put spacers there or something or i dont know how people bolt them up???

• Dube2

Posted August 18, 2008 - 02:43 PM

06 and 07 fenders are different? 05 and 06 are the same 07 and 08 are also the same? Not sure why your mounting holes are different?. I purchased a YZ fender from Baja Desings and it bolted right up. They told me it was an Acerbis fender.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 18, 2008 - 09:17 PM

my computer is moved, my reservoir is gone, and taillight is gone, so YZ fender is perfect BUT its the subframe holes that dont bolt up, the subframe side bolts on a WR07 are about 1"+ wider than they are on the YZ i dont know why this is, but the the YZ fender i had was off a 06-08 YZ and i would need to put spacers there or something or i dont know how people bolt them up???

Not only that, but it looks like the lowest two mounting holes are at different heights on the WR fender and at about the same level on the YZ fender. Is that just an illusion from the photo angle?

• nickt916

Posted August 19, 2008 - 01:10 AM

the bottom 2 I think are on the same line, just one is sticking out more I'm not sure why, gonna have to look into it more tomorrow. And people say it's a straight swap lol , ya right maybe on 06- WRs, or someone needs to crack pipe down

• custom-cruiser

Posted August 19, 2008 - 11:02 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=553769

I'll have to look tonite but I think I just got longer bolts and some spacers to fill in where the fender is anbout a 1/2" nawower on each side. If I can get a good pic I will post it.

CC

• nickt916

Posted August 19, 2008 - 03:17 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=553769

I'll have to look tonite but I think I just got longer bolts and some spacers to fill in where the fender is anbout a 1/2" nawower on each side. If I can get a good pic I will post it.

CC

id love to see...

• custom-cruiser

Posted August 19, 2008 - 05:00 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm going to powder coat all my blue anodize black and maybe order a new headlight surroud and paint white with clear coat and see how it holds up.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 19, 2008 - 07:23 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm going to powder coat all my blue anodize black and maybe order a new headlight surroud and paint white with clear coat and see how it holds up.

Sweet bike! I think the spacers are nick's answer he's been looking for:applause:

My head light cowl has been holding up to a lot of abuse I used Krylon's Fusion with no clear coat and the new head light cowls are only like $13:thumbsup: I supposed you could use enamel / clear coat with a flex additive but honestly this finish looks pretty good.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• nickt916

Posted August 21, 2008 - 06:03 AM

the bike looks awesome i love it!! how did you do the bottom 2 bolts? because when i was comparing the 2 more, mountings and brackets and such it seems like the bottom 2 would be awekward because it has that bracket thats sticking out on the WR so the YZ fender might have to be heated up, and molded out a corner there or cut out or just bolted on how ever it goes on?

can you post a picture of the fender 2 bottom bolts?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.