installed 48 rear sprocket and 19" wheel on my WR450, to low?

5 replies to this topic
  • nickt916

Posted August 17, 2008 - 04:53 PM

stock 07 rear sprocket is a 50, and wheel is an 18" roseville had a 48 and a 50, i wanted to go with a 49 but went with a 48... but since im now running a 19" then would it technically make that 48 feel like a 46-47?

sure ill have a higher top speed, but would it suck more off the line, suckier to climb hills, suckier to do wheelies? and i would put more stress on the engine as well?

the DNA wheel is about 7lbs lighter with the tire and sprocket.. compared to the stock 18" with a tire and sprocket.

• Alternative

Posted August 17, 2008 - 06:02 PM

19" tyres have a lower profile than 18" so mostly the overall diameter of the tyre is the same. For example a 110/100-18 is the same diameter as a 110/90-19.

• mikeythefokker

Posted August 17, 2008 - 06:16 PM

I damaged my stock 18"/50t wheel and swapped it out for a stock yz rear wheel 19"rim and 48t sprocket. Personally, I didn't like it. I only rode that setup for a day at Stonyford and it seemed a little bit too tall. It seemed to rob me of more of too much of that power hit that I like. I remember having to grab way more throttle than I wanted to when climbing hills. I put the 50t stock sprocket on the 19" wheel and I ran that setup for a long time, until I mangled that wheel a few months ago. However, give it a shot for yourself, swapping out a sprocket only takes a few minutes. I do think that the 48 would be good for the desert/dunes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nickt916

Posted August 17, 2008 - 07:57 PM

yea but i havent used it yet, just installed, so im debating if i should go exchange it while i have a chance. im still thinking about it

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 17, 2008 - 08:55 PM

stock 07 rear sprocket is a 50, and wheel is an 18" roseville had a 48 and a 50, i wanted to go with a 49 but went with a 48... but since im now running a 19" then would it technically make that 48 feel like a 46-47?

sure ill have a higher top speed, but would it suck more off the line, suckier to climb hills, suckier to do wheelies? and i would put more stress on the engine as well?

the DNA wheel is about 7lbs lighter with the tire and sprocket.. compared to the stock 18" with a tire and sprocket.

I don't quite understand what you are saying here. 19 inch tires do not make you faster. You are not effectively gearing up because the outer circumference of the tires should be about the same.

With the 19, you will light up the rear much quicker, probably loose some traction and definitely dent the rim and bend some spokes, unless of course, you are riding dunes, or on tracks or other really smooth terrain.

I ride off road and have tried the 19 inch from my yz on my wr. Its a rough ride with less traction. On a hill climb, the 19 inch is much better a digging a hole if you get stuck. But I am strickly an offroad desert rider.

I now run 18's on both my yz and wr for offroad stuff.

• mikeythefokker

Posted August 18, 2008 - 01:29 PM

I really don't notice a whole huge difference between the 19 and the 18 when it comes to handling or even hill climbing and rough terrain. As it has been said before, the rim size difference has no effect on the overall tire circumference, so the gearing of the bike isn't affected. I still mix and match my 19" wheel and 18" wheel from my yz to my wr depending on which tire I have mounted on which wheel. The only real thing that I have run into is that some tires are only made for 18" wheels, like trials tires. Also, most of the shops that I seem to go to have more motocross stuff, so I have personally found there to be a larger selection of moto type tires available to me in the 19" size. It really isn't that big of a deal either way. 18, 19, its all good.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.