whats causing my coolant leak?

6 replies to this topic
  • Ogener

Posted August 17, 2008 - 02:49 PM

I recently purchased an 05 yz450f and have been riding a few times on it. Yesterday my buddies and I went on an all afternoon ride. My buddy was riding it to test it out and when he came back to talk to me there were a couple drops of antifreeze on the floor under him and a little on the edge of the case by the outer case seal on the right side. We didnt think it could be overheating becuase he was doing highspeed runs down the road. After letting it cool a bit I was riding it for a bit and when I parked it there was decent drip rate of coolant coming from the water pump area. I immediatly rode it to the shed and parked it to prevent any further possible damage. My question is what could be happening to cause this coolant leak. Thanks much for any help and sorry for the long post.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 17, 2008 - 02:58 PM

its the impeller shaft seal, mine was leaking and i just replaced the seal and it stopped. just makes sure the impeller shaft looks good, or u will have to replace it.

• Ogener

Posted August 17, 2008 - 06:39 PM

thanks I'll have to look into it more when I have time off of school.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desert-rat660

Posted August 17, 2008 - 06:39 PM

its simple to change the seal

• Ogener

Posted August 18, 2008 - 07:55 AM

Since I dont have my manual yet, is that just the seal on the cover or a seal inside there so that I need the cover seal and another one?

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2008 - 08:29 AM

Here:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

Now you have a manual.

The impeller cover seal itself is a shape-formed "O" ring, and probably will not need to be replaced.

However, while it is possible to replace the coolant seal on the water pump simply by removing the cover and unscrewing the impeller, it is not at all advisable. First, this action subjects the drive tab of the shaft to the torque load of breaking the impeller free, which can be quite high, and the shaft may well break. Secondly, the impeller shaft has about a 75% chance of being worn badly enough that the new seal will either not hold at all, or will fail shortly after replacement.

The correct procedure is to drain the coolant and remove the right crankcase cover. The shaft has a pair of flats ground on it that allow it to be held with a 12mm wrench while removing or retightening the impeller, and with the case removed, the oil seal can be replaced at the same time, and the shaft can be more accurately inspected.

Don't cut corners.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 18, 2008 - 01:27 PM

i replaced just the seal and its lasted over 6 months so far. but it all depends on the condition of the impeller shaft good luck:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.