Help!!! No Spark On A 93' Rm250

9 replies to this topic
  • blackhawk8427

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

There is ZERO spark or current through the plug wire. I've checked the plug, replaced it, and tested it - and both the old and the new work fine in another motor. I hooked up a volt meter and set it to 500 VAC after trying several other things, and there was no voltage going through the plug wire (I connected one end of the meter to the plug wire, and the other to ground on the engine). There is resistance through the plug wire to ground, so the coil seems ok. The kill switch is also fine, but I tried disconnecting it anyway with no result. I'm not really sure how to test the stator or the CDI unit. There are 4 wires coming out of the stator, 2 of which (a green and a red, both separate) are a CLOSED circuit, with no resistance (reads 1ohm). All of them are insulated from ground, so no ohms from them to ground.

As a note, I rode this bike with NO PROBLEMS (or crashes lol) less than 24 hours before this happened. I actually rode it into the back of my truck, took it home, unloaded it, and went to start it the next day. After 30 mins of pushing it down my driveway, I checked for spark - nothing. So somehow, what ever it is completely failed within 24 hours of sitting in a garage.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Need it fixed in 2 weeks!!! How do I really test the stator or CDI? The engine was rebuilt a month ago due to a main rod bearing failure, has new top and bottom end now, about 8 hours on it.

:) :D :worthy: :ride: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • minegun2

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

can any one help my friend out? he needs help.:) ^^^ Not mental help, But then again he might need it :worthy: :D

• marzbar67

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

Here is the wiring diagram:
Posted Image
Here are some tables of values you can check:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I would also re-seat all the connectors and make sure there is continuity on all of the wires

• blackhawk8427

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

Thanks guys... after doing some of the tests marzbar67 gave me, it seems to be a bad stator. It's a completely open (none conductive) circuit where it should only have 100-200 ohms resistance. Meter showed no reading whatsoever. I did not check the CDI but everything else showed fine. Time for a new stator...

• jerryv13

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

Hey guys, can anyone tell me how to remove the magneto from the bike??? I pulled the cover and removed the two screws holding the stator, but I can't figure out how to get the "key" out to remove it
Is there a specific tool to pull this out???
Appreciate your help!!!!

• FPMXer

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hey guys, can anyone tell me how to remove the magneto from the bike??? I pulled the cover and removed the two screws holding the stator, but I can't figure out how to get the "key" out to remove it
Is there a specific tool to pull this out???
Appreciate your help!!!!

You have to get a puller from your local bike shop. They are about $15.00. The threads in the magneto are left handed.

• jerryv13

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

Thanks FPMXer!!! I'll head to the dealership tomorrow!!!
BTW, I got a little carried away with a hammer (my buddy said it should come out by pounding it) and broke a small piece of the top of the case :) oh well, more character for my RM :lol:

• whiteninja

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:48 AM

im confused, that chart does'nt match the wiring on my 1992 rm 250
i seem to have all the rite wire's but also an extra grey wire, i cannot find anywer for this wire and my bike still wont spark

• Uncle Alpo

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

Where is that grey wire located?

• bert-carrier

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Marzbar, your post just helped me figure out the same problem. I have a bad stator too. Now I can get this beast fixed!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.