Handlebars not inline with front wheel?

20 replies to this topic
  • Motocross250R

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:47 PM

HELP!

I was riding today and noticed when going perfectly straight, the handlebars are turned to the right! AND so is the tree I think. What happened and how do I fix it? Thanks!!

• biker boy

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:50 PM

take it easy. its an easy fix. just put the left side of the wheel up against a wall and push on the bars till they are in line. it may take a bit of force but it will get straight. i have done that to my bike a few times. usually happens when you fall down, the forks just twist a little bit in the triple trees. also check the torque on all the bolts, suck as the triple clamps and the axel pinch bolts

• Motocross250R

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:52 PM

OK, So I just bent the bars? Not the forks or anything?

• biker boy

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:57 PM

well i cant say for sure, but thats usually the solution. i dont think i have ever heard of someone actually twisting their forks with out a really bad crash. i think if you crashed hard enough to bent the forks you would be in the hospital :)

• Motocross250R

Posted August 16, 2008 - 03:22 PM

So what bent? Just the bars?

• seth240

Posted August 16, 2008 - 03:35 PM

if the front wheel is out of alignment then u need to loosen the tripole clamp bolts and turn the front wheel so that it lines up with the handlebars again. or your bars could just be bent

• loucks428

Posted August 16, 2008 - 03:36 PM

nothing is bent.

Just put the front wheel in between your legs and grip the tire with your knees firmly.
Hold the handlebars.
Twist the bars until the front wheel lines up straight again.

It's always the easiest fix to what looks to be a big problem. If you are confused let me know.

• crf2450

Posted August 16, 2008 - 05:43 PM

Things have twisted in the clamps. Loosen everything on the front suspension. The right side of the frt axle pinch bolts, the bar mount bolts (17mm nut under the top clamp) the bar mnt bolts, the steering stem nut, the top clamp fork pinch bolts. Let everything find it's neutral position. Tighten everything up and it will be back to normal. Sounds like a lot but takes 10 minutes at most. You can twist the front wheel between you legs or against an immovable object for a quick fix but it's hard to get it just right that way.

• Racer24

Posted August 16, 2008 - 05:58 PM

the bar mounts are probably crooked...most likely it has rubber mounts so they prolly shifted on landing..just loosen the bottom nut and straighten them..or go to a wall and start straightening the bars by hitting the tire againts the wall..takes a big hit to really mess up the triple clamps

• biker boy

Posted August 16, 2008 - 06:47 PM

you shouldn't really need to loosen anything. i have always fixed myn with out touching any bolts

• Racer24

Posted August 16, 2008 - 08:55 PM

well hed only have to loosen the bar mounts..which is just two 14 or 17 mmm bolts...that way it doesnt have to slam the tire against the wall to put it straight he can just line it up agian

• TappedOut

Posted August 16, 2008 - 08:59 PM

go up to a tree or sumtin with the front wheel to the side if it, then turn the handlebars and whack the tire against the tree, frick good to go then

• TappedOut

Posted August 16, 2008 - 09:02 PM

nothin is bent , the forks just shifted a bit, no big deal

• Motocross250R

Posted August 16, 2008 - 09:02 PM

Well, What should I do? Loosen all this stuff and get it right or twist the bars with the wheel up the wall. I'm not sure its the bars, they look even with the triple clamp. I could e wrong though.

• TappedOut

Posted August 16, 2008 - 09:12 PM

hitting the tire against the wall is the easy fix, instant results

• Berm-Saw

Posted August 16, 2008 - 11:14 PM

i am having the same trouble at the moment with my bike, i hit a hay bale and nothing has be straigh since, today i crashed again and now it really Fed up.

SOMETHING COULD BE BENT. if you have a 1 track mind and thing nothing is bend you will get nothing done

what i did is took the whole front end apart, forks, TC's, everything. put it all back together and its still not straight. i think my mounts are bend and my bars are too. (still in progress of figureing it out)

• Racer24

Posted August 17, 2008 - 06:47 PM

look closely at where the bar clamps stick out from the top clamp...see if it is out of line...chances they are...the bar clamps are the first to move after a crash...thhe forks and clamps are not bent or messed up unless it was a knarley crash and other bikes happen to run over yours

• kentuckykid60

Posted August 17, 2008 - 06:54 PM

i did this to my rm125 at a team race a few weeks back form takin a pretty nasty spill. i tried to twist back straight while gripping it w/ my knees tons of times, didn't work. i took the front end completely apart thenb put it back together with the spec amount of torque on each bolt, didn't work. i recently bought a new top tripple clamp, now every thing lines up just fine, so i bent my tripple clamp when i fell. you probably just twisted your front end, but if all else fails, get a set of tripple clamps off e-bay or sumthin.

• A-dubya21

Posted August 17, 2008 - 06:58 PM

loosen the tripole clamp bolts line up the wheel with the handle bars and retightin the bolts. easy as that. dont try and force the bars back into place because you may strip something and then have a real problem

• cumminsman

Posted August 18, 2008 - 08:12 AM

take it easy. its an easy fix. just put the left side of the wheel up against a wall and push on the bars till they are in line. it may take a bit of force but it will get straight. i have done that to my bike a few times. usually happens when you fall down, the forks just twist a little bit in the triple trees. also check the torque on all the bolts, suck as the triple clamps and the axel pinch bolts

This is terrible advice. This will work fine when you are in the middle of the forest and need to get back to where some tools are, but if you have tools just loosen everything up and move them with out force. Tighten it all up and you're good to go.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

06 Crf250r shooting flames out exhaust..... normal? by rick.eddins

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

***Front Fender** by Stealth parade

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF250R high rpm cut out before rev limiter by Miley250twerk

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

If you had to vote a 250f most reliable by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 air4orce airbox on 2011 by avoidthedog

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.