no compression after rebild?????

24 replies to this topic
  • psellers22

Posted August 16, 2008 - 09:23 PM

make sure u got it timed right trust u dont want that piston slapping the valves....when you turn the motor u dont hear it clank do you....time your motor with the ( l ) very critical:bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2008 - 09:25 PM

... with the way i have it now the exhaust valves would open to fast. and would blow my compression out the window. right?

I doubt it. You're only talking about 5 degrees or so. And you don't check by where the cams line up.

Rotate the crank forward to the TDC mark (assuming the flywheel is indexed correctly), then read the marks on the cams. If they don't line up perfectly, which they usually don't, imagine the mark being at the next tooth over. Better or worse?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fastback959

Posted December 04, 2008 - 02:07 PM

well i got back to the bike after many months and found out that the yamaha shop sold me rings for a 400 and charged me for 426 rings.... so after instaling new 426 rings the bike started in about 2 kicks!!! and ran like a deer, the yamaha shop gave me new head gaskit and bace gaskit with rings for the truble. thanks for all of the hellp!

• motojoe_23

Posted December 04, 2008 - 06:37 PM

And the ring End gap didnt tip you off when doing the build???

That should always be checked when doing a build. There are times when a ring will be slightly short or slightly long. It is not very common, but if it happens it can cause all sorts of issues. Similar with plug gaps. Sure they are normally right out of the box, but every now and then they are not.

• fastback959

Posted December 05, 2008 - 07:06 AM

yes i will check my end gap every time for now on. lesson learned

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.